Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Shooting my own pre-wedding w/ "Ryan Brenizer Method".
Lens: FA*85 Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: WV 
Posted By: LFLee, 04-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Been practicing this method ("Ryan Brenizer Method") for a while. Basically stitching several photos together with long lens and big aperture, to get a large format camera DOF while achieving amazing details. While it is a pretty common technique in landscape, I believe photographer Ryan Brenizer is the one who first used it in portrait shooting (he did wedding). He has made some video detailing the method. I have been doing stitching with landscape photos for a while and decided to try it on.... for my own wedding shooting. Here are several shots of my fiance, created using this method. Comments welcome! I would suggest to view in full screen to appreciate the details this method provided!

1. 8 photos stitch.

Full screen view.

2. 6 photos stitch.

Full screen view.

3. 3 photos stitch.

Full screen view.

Got to thank my fiance for being patient with me as she trying to hold a post for me for so long...
The challenge with this method, especially against the sunlight is to try to get all photos with the same tone (lock exposure helps a little, but avoiding sun flare is challenging), and overlaps the frame at least 1/3 from another. And trying hard to avoid camera shake..... if you miss one shot, the sequence of shots become unusable... But the result is satisfying, the details are amazing when you got it right. The down side? the stitched photo size is so huge. I have no idea how Ryan Brenizer manage to stitch typically over 20 shots and some time 100 photos to create a huge stitch photos, with full frame D800 camera.... (I need to practice more!)

Lee
Views: 2,591
04-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, that bokeh... For a moment I thought you might have tested a Pentax FF
Absolutely great shots!
04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, pretty surprising effect. Good job, I didn't know it was possible to stitch photos in portrait type shots like that. Very cool, and great dreamy effect. And a beautiful fiancee you got there
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Just a thought, a reflector would help or the use of the flash. I do that when I take sunset shots. Great shots.

04-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you for sharing the technique. Photo #2 really showed the strength of this method. I wish both you and your fiance/wife a happy and prosperous marriage.
04-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions!

Forgot to mention, I use K5IIs +FA*85.... K5IIs is amazing (even I already have K5)! The K5IIs make every lenses I have on steroid.
04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Just remember on the day of the service, you had better doing your groom duties rather than being photographer, if you want a long and happy marriage.

04-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done !

I find the results quite amazing except for some blown out highlights? But that could be because I am seeing your images on my laptop rather than my PC at home: different graphic card and monitor.

On the same subject: how did you manage to set the AE-lock and AF-lock on your K5 (IIs) ? Would it be the same with the "classic" K5?

JP
04-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm seriously pondering buying a gigapan setup just to take advantage of this technique with my next tax refund.

Hooked to the M-200 or a 135mm it would probably do an amazing job.
04-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive. I read about this some time ago, but never managed to play with it. You are motivating me to give it a try.

I might suggest you try to remove the CA in the highlights (street lamp), and I think I'm seeing some hot pixels or bright spots that could be clones out (in the church wall for example).

Thanks for sharing.
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Just remember on the day of the service, you had better doing your groom duties rather than being photographer, if you want a long and happy marriage.
lol, ya! been looking for local photographer!
04-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Nicely done !

I find the results quite amazing except for some blown out highlights? But that could be because I am seeing your images on my laptop rather than my PC at home: different graphic card and monitor.

On the same subject: how did you manage to set the AE-lock and AF-lock on your K5 (IIs) ? Would it be the same with the "classic" K5?

JP
Yes, with the AE-L button. but sometime I forgot this and end up with uneven tone pictures and stitching will not work.
I shot with M-mode and, once you get the focus right, turn to manual focus.

"blown out highlights" -- I did this on purpose to mimic some film look that I like (and make the background less messy)...
04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Impressive. I read about this some time ago, but never managed to play with it. You are motivating me to give it a try.

I might suggest you try to remove the CA in the highlights (street lamp), and I think I'm seeing some hot pixels or bright spots that could be clones out (in the church wall for example).

Thanks for sharing.
Oh, missed that CA! will have to fix that. FA lens are prone to it.

Those are not hot pixels.... but small insects! I kind of like them so I leave them there.... I wish there are more insects that day to create a nice bokeh though.
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm seriously pondering buying a gigapan setup just to take advantage of this technique with my next tax refund.

Hooked to the M-200 or a 135mm it would probably do an amazing job.
I agreed! let me know how that works out if you do get it ...
With 135mm I think the result will be even better, 200mm..... will be difficult for handheld for sure!
hope it won't take too much time to set up else the person you are shooting will get real boring...
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I agreed! let me know how that works out if you do get it ...
With 135mm I think the result will be even better, 200mm..... will be difficult for handheld for sure!
hope it won't take too much time to set up else the person you are shooting will get real boring...
I think on Gigapan's site it says its around 6 shots per second or so. I may be misremembering. Shooting like this you don't need to use full sized JPGs, so you can easily drop it down to a smaller file size, turn off RAW (because you won't be doing this in RAW if you want to maintain sanity) and you'll basically wind up firing at full camera speed (or until you fill the buffer, which at 8MB or so per shot should be a while).

This means you can take a 60-image shot in about 10 seconds or so. It would take longer for the stitching software to run its magic than it would to actually take the series of shots.

Last edited by Sagitta; 04-05-2013 at 01:21 PM.