Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lucky Sighting
Camera: Optio P70 Photo Location: Nevada 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

We were headed back from Las Vegas to the motorhome in Pahrump, when Terri all of a sudden said," Look there are big horn sheep going up the mountain". My regular cameras were in bags in the back seat, so I got my trusty Pentax point/shoot out of the glove compartment and quickly got out and snapped as many pics as I could. We have seen wild horses and donkeys here in the desert, but this was a first for us. Thanks for taking a look.

Attached Images

Views: 1,292
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Den
Veteran Member

Good catch Bob and good eye for Terri. Even when they are there, they're not easy to spot, especially if they are standing still.
04-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Good catch Bob and good eye for Terri. Even when they are there, they're not easy to spot, especially if they are standing still.
At first they just blended into the landscape and I couldn't see what she was talking about, so I basically just pointed and took a few photos and then I spotted them and zoomed in for a closer look and then they were gone
04-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great capture Bob, thanks to a sharp eyed navigator and shooting what is the handiest. Thanks for sharing..........Cliff

04-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! I have only seen these once in my life, on the palm canyon hike in Anza-Borrego.
04-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

How exciting!! I love that you stopped and got these shots... they are so good. Love how they disappear over the hill. Great that you always have a camera on hand.
04-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all about right place, right time, the truth is a lot of photography is based on those two facts, perhaps more than we would care to admit.

They should be renamed camo sheep, you did well to see them in the first place.
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
SJM
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing those Bob. How wonderful to see.

04-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking good Bob gonna have to keep that spotter of yours around. We get them here in the mountains (and some parts of the highway) - did not know they were down south as well. Very cool.
04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What cool shots, Bob! I have never seen any of these guys before. Yep, you have to have a good eye, they really do blend in! Great color in that sky, too.
04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great job, brother Bob. These suckers are hard to catch with a camera based on my experiences in Colorado.

Jer
04-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Great capture Bob, thanks to a sharp eyed navigator and shooting what is the handiest. Thanks for sharing..........Cliff
Hey thanks Cliff, if not for Terri, I would of missed it completely, just like I miss most of the streets I am told to turn on while we are on the road. Have you ever heard the phrase "Didn't you hear me".
04-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Awesome! I have only seen these once in my life, on the palm canyon hike in Anza-Borrego.
I've seen them in the canyons off of the Colorado River and a couple of other places, but they are always moving and there is no way to get a photo, I was really happy with this series Jerry.
04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
How exciting!! I love that you stopped and got these shots... they are so good. Love how they disappear over the hill. Great that you always have a camera on hand.
I love my p/s Tess, a great backup that is often used as a primary camera it seems.
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It's all about right place, right time, the truth is a lot of photography is based on those two facts, perhaps more than we would care to admit.

They should be renamed camo sheep, you did well to see them in the first place.
I didn't even see the sheep in the 1st shot, I just pointed the camera where my wife was pointing. Lucky is sometimes better than good I think, like you say they really blend in.