Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
No flash URGHHH, no wait I like it!
Posted By: vievetrick, 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM

So the wife and I attended an event and I had the camera with me (as usual). Well, while snaping away at one point the flash batteries started giving out. So I pressed the shutter and noticed no flash and I held the camera in place and caught the long exposure. I figured more then likely will be one I delete. You know we all have those mistake shots that later we look and say " hey, cool, yea I meant to do that". Well, this is one of those for me. I really like it. The movement, the colors, the band. I am sure it could use a tweak or two but thought I would share and get your thoughts.

Camera: Pentax K10D Exposure: 1.5 sec (3/2) Aperture: f/4 Focal Length: 26 mm

Here is another one of my favorites from the night. I just do not have the orginal and this a crop, but I like the angle and the couple looks like they are really having a good time. The flash (sigma 500 Super) did work for me this time and is bounced off the cieling with a Sto-fen. I was standing up on a chair on the side of the dance floor.

Views: 1,249
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice images. Really love the movement in the first one.

As a stagehand I've worked many of those type of events and they are always so dark. Also the first one is likely how many of the attendees were seeing things due to liquid filters.
03-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is exactly how I was feeling buy the end of the night

Last edited by vievetrick; 03-05-2008 at 01:19 PM.
03-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I really like the first one, it gives a really good feeling of the fun going on there. The second one is good too, they look like they are having a blast!

03-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like those pictures. It's funny just 2 minutes ago my wife told me to plan on bringing the camera on friday night to the New Haven Irish Parade Ball we go to every year with our extended family. I said most of the pictures inside won't be great since I won't want to use the flash when everyone is dancing. We'll have to see; hope to get a few like that.

Thanks for sharing
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Carol and weather. Hey give it a try why not. If you are not using a flash it will be pretty tought but could be fun.
03-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice. Here's a trick you can try. Setup your camera to hold the shutter open longer while using the flash. You'll get a "stop motion image" like in your second pic, but there will be a subsequent "motion blur" like in the first pic. I believe that your Sigma has the ability to do second curtain sync so that you can make it look like the people are "blurring into focus" if you know what I mean.
03-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wanted to try Chris's bar scene type shots as you suggested Hawaiian but did not think this was the time to try it. I will soon and thanks for the comments.