Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I'd rather be shooting Daffodils
Lens: Tamron 90 2.8 macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: The woods of South Algonquin Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM

We are being pounded by a winter ice storm and I am certain we'll lose our power soon. We always do. No spring-weather in sight. So I hauled my butt into the woods and shot some iced-over puddles (on a dark grey day, without a tripod MSL, practicing breathing exercises). Here are a few under-appreciated results (I'd rather be shooting crocuses and daffodils).

Views: 1,683
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Our crocuses are just about done. The first daffodils opened just in time to be knocked down by rain...
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice, as always, Tess! I love the close-ups of the ice. Such nice natural abstracts! I hope you kept your power. I know what it's like to lose it frequently.
04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bottom 3 are top 3 ! Winter is hanging for dear life here as well (20cm expected tomorrow). BC is good maybe it's time to head west ........1 hour plane ride or a 10 hour drive I could be golfing !

04-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
certain we'll lose our power soon
We're similar here, that's what prompted me to get UPS for the iMac and external drives.

Great ice puddle shots, real abstract stuff.
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice experiments Tess (and I feel soooooo important being mentioned at the top of the thread). I don't know how many you shot, but I have curiosity question about the third one (since I didn't get a chance to shoot the ice on my front lawn today). It may just be that the ice is too think, but I'm wondering what would happen if you stuck to a narrow depth of field and tried to focus on what was under the ice?
04-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me assure you, Dave, that we are not golfing anytime soon in this part of BC. Probably another month before they let us on the courses. You have to be closer to the coast to have early golf. Oh yeah, expect a lot of snow tomorrow

04-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Cold as Ice" shots here Tess, I would think with the image stabilization turned on, you wouldn't always need a tripod?
04-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Bottom 3 are top 3 ! . . . . . . . . . . .
I can't say it better. Great job, tess.

Jer
04-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Our crocuses are just about done. The first daffodils opened just in time to be knocked down by rain...
I took some boring pics of a purple dot on the white snow yesterday. Crocuses are hardy so I am sure its just waiting for some sun under all that cold. Hard rains always ruin flowers. Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Very nice, as always, Tess! I love the close-ups of the ice. Such nice natural abstracts! I hope you kept your power. I know what it's like to lose it frequently.
thanks Lori, 60,000 people south of us lost power, but we made it through just fine!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Bottom 3 are top 3 ! Winter is hanging for dear life here as well (20cm expected tomorrow). BC is good maybe it's time to head west ........1 hour plane ride or a 10 hour drive I could be golfing !
Geesh... 20 cm... I don't usually complain about the weather, but I am antsy for some sun. We are suppose to head out on our first canoe trip in three weeks but the ice on the lakes has barely started to melt.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
We're similar here, that's what prompted me to get UPS for the iMac and external drives.

Great ice puddle shots, real abstract stuff.
Thanks Kerrowdown!!

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Nice experiments Tess (and I feel soooooo important being mentioned at the top of the thread). I don't know how many you shot, but I have curiosity question about the third one (since I didn't get a chance to shoot the ice on my front lawn today). It may just be that the ice is too think, but I'm wondering what would happen if you stuck to a narrow depth of field and tried to focus on what was under the ice?
Well, you're a very important person! About your suggestions...I have been doing a lot of ice stuff this winter and tried everything from f/2.8 to f/22, and tried selective focus on foreground and background subjects. And funny enough I did try to photograph what was under the ice the other day but had to discard the images. Ice is finicky... There really isn't bokeh on an ice shot, and a little blur here or there in the image ruins the shot if I can't crop it out. For me, my tastes, ice abstracts are an all or nothing in the focus dept. which usually means smaller apertures.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Let me assure you, Dave, that we are not golfing anytime soon in this part of BC. Probably another month before they let us on the courses. You have to be closer to the coast to have early golf. Oh yeah, expect a lot of snow tomorrow
They were downhill skiing in Collingwood and golfing in Toronto over the Easter long weekend ... still skiing, but now the courses are closed I would imagine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
"Cold as Ice" shots here Tess, I would think with the image stabilization turned on, you wouldn't always need a tripod?
I am okay if the shutter speed is fast enough, but I am often in the woods without much light and I cannot hold the darned camera steady anywhere slower than 1/30. It is odd as my resting heart rate is 31 beats per minute. Thanks for commenting Bob!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I can't say it better. Great job, tess.

Jer
Thank you so much Jer
04-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have made up the bed in the spare bedroom for you and Norm Tess. Nice and sunny and warm. The only ice you will find is in the freezer or in one of Charlie's red solo cups.
04-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice series Tess
04-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I have made up the bed in the spare bedroom for you and Norm Tess. Nice and sunny and warm. The only ice you will find is in the freezer or in one of Charlie's red solo cups.
QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Nice series Tess

Thanks Susan and Sue!
04-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few Daffodils from this evening for Tess

04-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I do like the ice crystal ,that should keep you going till spring arrives TFS