Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sandstone Caves
Lens: smc Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Pilliga State Forest, NSW, Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: AussieTrev, 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM

One for Bob and Jerry. We have colour too. This is a location called the Sandstone Caves, it is a significant Aboriginal location with some remaining evidence, axe grinding grooves and some carvings. Very little processing. The colours are stunning.

Attached Images

Views: 4,295
04-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stunning indeed Trev, thanks for sharing this, I am going to google and get the story. Do you have any idea how far the existing top cave entrance goes back?
04-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
stunning indeed Trev, thanks for sharing this, I am going to google and get the story. Do you have any idea how far the existing top cave entrance goes back?
They are basically holes in the rock. More of a shelter, rather than a cave in the true sense. This about the largest and the top section is about how far in it goes. That's the wife.
Attached Images

04-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for adding Trev, this is what I found on the net
Sandstone Caves walking track | NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service

04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thanks for adding Trev, this is what I found on the net
Sandstone Caves walking track | NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
That's the spot. I have shots of all the info signs, but working on the iPad means limited functionality.
04-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dang. I was almost certain it was Uhuru (or maybe the Olgas) before scrolling down and seeing the comments. I climbed Uhuru - then called Ayer's Rock - back in the mid-1980's and it looked a lot like your pictures at the base. Nice shots!
04-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice images. Wish I had some of that sandstone country. We are trying to start a business based on the archaeology we have on our place (ballancar.com.au). We have lots of old campsites, stone tools, earth ovens and scarred trees.But no art (except maybe for some enigmatic markings on a few kurrajongs near water sources). You need sandstone for art - either rock carvings or paintings. But I am currently doing some environmental mapping to identify clearings tht may have been wallaby traps. It's all good stuff when you get into it. I love trying to imagine how people made their living here.

04-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Quite nice - TFS - J
04-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Dang. I was almost certain it was Uhuru (or maybe the Olgas) before scrolling down and seeing the comments. I climbed Uhuru - then called Ayer's Rock - back in the mid-1980's and it looked a lot like your pictures at the base. Nice shots!
Thought you and Bob would get a bit of a kick out of this. You sure have plenty of colour in some of the places in the US. Thanks for the nice comment.
04-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice images. Wish I had some of that sandstone country. We are trying to start a business based on the archaeology we have on our place (ballancar.com.au). We have lots of old campsites, stone tools, earth ovens and scarred trees.But no art (except maybe for some enigmatic markings on a few kurrajongs near water sources). You need sandstone for art - either rock carvings or paintings. But I am currently doing some environmental mapping to identify clearings tht may have been wallaby traps. It's all good stuff when you get into it. I love trying to imagine how people made their living here.
Thanks PJ. Best of luck with our research and search. Mosquito Creek, is that near Woodford?
04-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Quite nice - TFS - J
Thank you.
04-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Mosquito Creek, is that near Woodford?"
No, Trev, it's out between Leyburn and Inglewood. But if archaeology interests you, give us a call sometime. (Mates rates, of course!)
04-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Sandstone Caves
Amazing structures, presumably formed by erosion with water, just look at all the colours and I bet they really change dramatically with the ambient light.

Great shots thanks for sharing these, I think I could spend a few hours there with a camera quite happily.
04-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing and beautiful...I think I could spend more than a few happy hours with camera there! Thanks, Trev!
04-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I think I could spend more than a few happy hours with camera there!
I'll be that other photographer hanging about there, when can discuss all things Pentax while waiting on the light.