Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Gray morning at Torrey Pines State Beach
Lens: 55-300 Camera: K-01 
Posted By: jon404, 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Gray, cloudy, flat. Only one picture worked in color, and that with a lot of editing in Xara Designer. The rest? Black-and-white... and dial up the contrast!

Attached Images

Views: 1,538
04-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. My favourite is the 3rd photo which has a lot of character. Well done.

Thank you for sharing.
04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! You know, the first one was difficult. At 55mm, the lens was as wide as it gets, and I was backed up against a pile of construction junk. Wanted to get both the oncoming train and the coastline in the picture. But I've found that the K-01 has almost zero shutter lag, and it was easy to get the train at just the right time -- I pre-focused on a bridge beam right around that spot.

A note -- I'm finding, at long telephoto settings, like 200-300mm, that the auto-focus isn't always exact... even with the lens set to f/11 or f/16. Probably because I'm using too low a shutter speed, have to remember that! But in low light, even with TAv ISO going up to 1600, sometimes it just doesn't work out. Cameras!
04-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
...A note -- I'm finding, at long telephoto settings, like 200-300mm, that the auto-focus isn't always exact... even with the lens set to f/11 or f/16. Probably because I'm using too low a shutter speed, have to remember that! But in low light, even with TAv ISO going up to 1600, sometimes it just doesn't work out. Cameras!
At PF, many people recomend Tav (aperture priority) but....Personally, I tend to prefer using Shutter priority (Tv) because I shoot handheld and Tv helps me selecting a shutter spped fast enough.

In fact, to be perfectly honest, I shoot in Hypermode P and I set the wheel to set the shutter speed when I see that it is too slow.

My 5 cents...

04-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@hcc -- The TAv setting I've been using also lets you use the wheel. On my K-01... first, you can lock the exposure, and then use the Green button to select either shutter speed or aperture, and then use the wheel to alter your setting, like changing f/4 to f/8. When you do that, it automatically changes the shutter speed for you, to keep the same overall exposure. This is very helpful... for me, anyway!
04-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Interesting series, we all thought over here, all lifeguards were baywatch babes, what happened your end.
04-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That must be a cool train ride. Nice 'postcards'

04-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a beautiful train ride... you can take the Amtrak Surfliner all the way up to San Luis Obispo. Going to Santa Barbara by train is a real treat... you can avoid driving for HOURS through Los Angeles... and there is a rent-a-car place two blocks from the SB train station. Just before you get into Santa Barbara, before Carpinteria, the train is on a cliffside right above the ocean. Dramatic! A little further on, past Lompoc, there is a mysterioso stop called Surf, one train a day, right on the beach near Vandenberg AFB. San Clemente also has an on-the-beach train stop, and that's about it, since they closed the Del Mar station a few years ago.

Re beachbabes -- on days like yesterday, they are all at tanning salons. Not at the beach! But, later in summer, it's bikini time, or nothing-at-all time on Black's Beach, just to the south of Torrey Pines State Beach. The whole 'baywatch' lifeguard scene is really down toward San Diego, in places called Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Ocean Beach. Lotsa hotties!