Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Eastern Brown Snake
Lens: DA55-300 Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 04-14-2013, 05:37 AM

This Eastern Brown looked very healthy and was over a metre long. Unfortunately I didn't catch an image before it already moved off the road.

The Eastern Brown Snake is potentially deadly, although I've never heard of anyone being killed by one.
PS I would say more like 1.5m long.
Views: 1,088
04-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very cool photo - sharp and detailed.

Jer
04-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Over a metre long you say... I'd need a 2000 mm lens and that would still be too close for me.

Great sharp image.
04-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

He is a beauty for sure. We went looking yesterday but couldn't find any although a couple of guys said they found a copperhead. Nice clear, crisp image on this one.

04-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Very cool photo - sharp and detailed.
Thanks! I had to crop quite a bit, but the K5iis is still good to the pixel level.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Over a metre long you say... I'd need a 2000 mm lens and that would still be too close for me. Great sharp image.
Thanks! Two other people with me stayed safely in the car while I got out to take the photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
He is a beauty for sure. We went looking yesterday but couldn't find any although a couple of guys said they found a copperhead. Nice clear, crisp image on this one.
Thank you! I could have got a bit closer but I didn't want to miss the shot entirely by disturbing him too much.
04-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looking at the photo made my skin crawl. The eastern brown is the second most venomous land snake in the world. They are very aggressive and very dangerous. They are also quite wide spread down the eastern side of Australia. Unfortunately we have some of the most venomous snakes in the world here.

I don't think there is a lens longer enough for me to photograph snakes in the wild.
04-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very sharp 1.5m wow now that's a big one indeed.
04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool (no shaking) shot, I don't mind snakes they are good for the enviroment, but I avoid brown snakes, too cranky and fast. My son is into herping and would be impressed with this.

04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Looking at the photo made my skin crawl. The eastern brown is the second most venomous land snake in the world. They are very aggressive and very dangerous. They are also quite wide spread down the eastern side of Australia. Unfortunately we have some of the most venomous snakes in the world here. I don't think there is a lens longer enough for me to photograph snakes in the wild.
In my experience, snakes won't harm you unless you try to harm them. Most of the people who have been bitten by Brown Snakes stepped on one or tried to kill it with a shovel. Only one snake - a Small Eyed Snake - looked like it wanted to bite me, but that's because I nearly stepped on it. I've seen Eastern Browns, Red Bellied Blacks, Tiger Snakes and Death Adders. None of them were aggressive. The only Taipan I've seen was a roadkill. We have very few deaths from snakebite in Australia because we have the best antivenine in the world. This list shows the Brown at number 2, but that's only rated by LD50 which is the lethality of the venom. The LD50 doesn't really mean that an Eastern Brown Snake is more dangerous than a Cobra - and the Cobra appears at number 12 on the list. The top 11 snakes by LD50 are Australian.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very sharp 1.5m wow now that's a big one indeed.
Thanks! It's a decent size for a venomous snake. The non-venomous Pythons grow much bigger.

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Cool (no shaking) shot, I don't mind snakes they are good for the enviroment, but I avoid brown snakes, too cranky and fast. My son is into herping and would be impressed with this.
Thanks! I saw one eye-to-eye from about a metre away once; far too close for me. I've never seen a Brown Snake behave aggressively though. 99.9% of the time, snakes want to get away from you even more than you want to get away from them. I ran after a Red Bellied Black Snake once for a photo - I got the photo but he did look a bit annoyed. Yes, the snake was fast enough that I literally had to run to catch up to it.

Last edited by RobG; 04-15-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
04-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
In my experience, snakes won't harm you unless you try to harm them.
Very true. Most snakes are shy and are not aggressive.
Very nice shot, by the way.
04-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
Forum Member

Great shot! They are beutiful animals! The closest I ever got to one was when I nearly stepped on it (ironically looking out for good photo opportunities). Would have much preferred to have it on film than on my leg... but luckily it missed and disappeared. I think it was probably equally as scarred as I was (or more).
04-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Several people within a 3km radius of where I live have been attacked by Eastern Browns. All ended up in hospital but luckily survived. Haven't seen one in my yard yet, but I am always extremely cautious when out in the yard now.

Luckily the birds in my yard are extremely snake vigilant and raise hell whenever they see a snake, which has been handy a few times with the local Diamond Python and a Red-belly Black or two...
04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjeller Quote
Very true. Most snakes are shy and are not aggressive.
Very nice shot, by the way.
Agreed and thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by iwillau Quote
Great shot! They are beutiful animals! The closest I ever got to one was when I nearly stepped on it (ironically looking out for good photo opportunities). Would have much preferred to have it on film than on my leg... but luckily it missed and disappeared. I think it was probably equally as scarred as I was (or more).
Yikes - did it actually strike at you? Glad it missed.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Several people within a 3km radius of where I live have been attacked by Eastern Browns. All ended up in hospital but luckily survived. Haven't seen one in my yard yet, but I am always extremely cautious when out in the yard now.
Do you have any idea of the circumstances? Did any of those people try to kill the snake?

QuoteQuote:
Luckily the birds in my yard are extremely snake vigilant and raise hell whenever they see a snake, which has been handy a few times with the local Diamond Python and a Red-belly Black or two...
Wish I could see some of those snakes!
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wish I could see some of those snakes!
Here's my 'Wildlife' set on flickr. It includes a few of my regular Diamond Python yard visitor (pic below). He likes my garden shed, and also likes to creep around other places like my roof and front verandah. The Red-Bellied Blacks move a lot quicker and I haven't photographed any yet.

Backyard Diamond Python 2 on Flickr
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Here's my 'Wildlife' set on flickr. It includes a few of my regular Diamond Python yard visitor (pic below). He likes my garden shed, and also likes to creep around other places like my roof and front verandah. The Red-Bellied Blacks move a lot quicker and I haven't photographed any yet.
Nice pic! FWIW I think it's a Carpet Python. It would be cool to have a python in the yard keeping the rodents at bay!