Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K20D first model shoot
Posted By: codiac2600, 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Well you knew this was coming and here you go! My first model shoot with the K20D plus my first winter outdoor shoot. The K20D totally rocks and I feel my lighting is getting much much better.

All shot with the Pentax K20D, DA* 16-50mm, ISO 100, two sometimes 3 lights all fired with pocket wizards.

Comments are always welcome and as always, enjoy!

Must stay warm, but photographer so sexy...

I know it's only 28 degrees, but mister photographer...

Warming up before the next act...

Mmmmhmmm, this wall is cold, but feels so good....

Well hello....

These vines are the only things stopping me...

Arch way back...

I shouldn't be pulling at this, but I am anyway...

Snuggle up with me...

Grrrrr....

Hold me close and never let me fall...

Sparkle sparkle...

Light leading the way...

Snow falls softly behind me...

Views: 2,682
03-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Awesome! I love the lighting that you used, especially outdoors.
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is an exceptional series Chris, you sure have the lighting down pat as well as the posing. Having said that, I personally don't like the hands forward poses in # 5, 6 and 8 but that is just me. I do like the way the flashes caught the falling snow in some of the images.

Take care, Heinrich
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #4

Where do You put those 3 flashes? Do You carry 3 lightstands around?
BTW, great photos, as allways!

03-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, Chris. Very impressive series here. Your lighting really works out well. She is gorgeous looking too.
03-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

A really solid series and a great workout for both the new camera and your lighting!
03-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very good series Chris - you are keeping pace with the advances in technology with the advances in your skills. The lighting and sharpness are great. Some of the captions on the pictures may be from your inside voice, but hey if not more power to ya ! (makes me think of a career change!)

03-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
Where do You put those 3 flashes? Do You carry 3 lightstands around?
BTW, great photos, as allways!
I have Bogen 3353 light stands which fold down to about about 2ft tall and weigh almost nothing and I have 6 Promaster 7000M flashes, but only carry 3 with me and two AF540 flashes. I can fit two flashes, two lightstands with umbrella adapters and two umbrellas in a 40 inch tripod bag and it weighs about 5lbs and sits in my back seat.

Here are the rest of the winners from yesterday. BTW, every image is unprocessed straight RAW to Jpeg.

03-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Love this shot! Really dig the shots were you've captured the falling snow. You've caught the strobist fever!

Those Promaster flashes look interesting.... an inexpensive way to add a lot more light!

Ever had any problems with wind knocking over the Bogen stands with an umbrella? I thought about this, and so far, have gone with some fairly heavy duty Photoflex light stands... they just aren't nearly as compact.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I have Bogen 3353 light stands which fold down to about about 2ft tall and weigh almost nothing and I have 6 Promaster 7000M flashes, but only carry 3 with me and two AF540 flashes. I can fit two flashes, two lightstands with umbrella adapters and two umbrellas in a 40 inch tripod bag and it weighs about 5lbs and sits in my back seat.

Here are the rest of the winners from yesterday. BTW, every image is unprocessed straight RAW to Jpeg.

03-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a lens in your pocket or are you just excited about your new camera? Nice shots, Chris. Your lighting does continue to get better and better.
03-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

cool shoot. what size and type of umbrella's are you using.
03-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Love this shot! Really dig the shots were you've captured the falling snow. You've caught the strobist fever!

Those Promaster flashes look interesting.... an inexpensive way to add a lot more light!

Ever had any problems with wind knocking over the Bogen stands with an umbrella? I thought about this, and so far, have gone with some fairly heavy duty Photoflex light stands... they just aren't nearly as compact.
Thanks Hamid and I did think about that, but the Bogen stands have a massive footprint when adjusted properly and can withstand me hitting it so I'm pretty sure these can take a decent breeze. I have heavier duty light stands that didn't even hold up a couple of seconds on a windy day last year and had to call in two friends to hold them down.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Is that a lens in your pocket or are you just excited about your new camera? Nice shots, Chris. Your lighting does continue to get better and better.
Thanks Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
cool shoot. what size and type of umbrella's are you using.
In my portable kit I keep 30" silver umbrellas and white umbrellas. Basically I carry two kits with me and it totals up to 4 light stands, 5 flashes, 4 umbrella adapters, 4 Pocket Wizards, 4 Umbrellas (2 silver, 2 white), and every colour gel I can get my hands on. I also have some homemade snoots, grids, cookies and gobos, but rarely carry all of them with me unless I plan on using them ahead of time. I could have used a gobo on this particular shoot, but I used the zoom function on the flash to stop some stray light from hitting the model.
03-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Thanks Hamid and I did think about that, but the Bogen stands have a massive footprint when adjusted properly and can withstand me hitting it so I'm pretty sure these can take a decent breeze. I have heavier duty light stands that didn't even hold up a couple of seconds on a windy day last year and had to call in two friends to hold them down.
That's a fine endorsement! I may have to add a couple to build up a more portable, compact kit!
03-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

you know which ones i like.....

again good stuff chris
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

nice shots Chris..

Nice shots Chris..

I esspecially like the "snow falls softly" one.. and the extra you posted.. The little glimmer you got out of the snow is wonderful!!!!

Great job!!! Thanks for sharin.. Kim