Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Bird photography in the rain
Lens: Pentax DA* 300mm F4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Sweden ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: VisualDarkness, 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM

I took the bike and pedaled out in the rain to a lake to look for some cranes, I didn't see them but found other birds instead. Both my camera and I ended up dripping wet but I had a wonderful time and I think a couple of the pics turned out quite nice despite all the rain in the air. Sadly the weather prohibited me from changing lenses so I didn't get tat many landscape ones as I was stuck with the 300mm, though it was wonderful for the birds.

I actually walked out on the ice for a many of the pics. But I only so far that I didn't have to risk drowning if going through the thin ice, there were big holes in the ice that I had to watch out for. Slippery, weak and holey ice in combination with rain made me happy having a robust weather-sealed kit. I think this is close to the "Being Fearless" theme that howls the forum at the moment. :P

Some birds:

A shot of the lake:

And lastly some wet wet wet equipment:

Views: 1,448
04-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Cool, I'm keen to integrate my two loves of cycling and photography to get out of town abit more once I get settled. I like that massed flock shot taking off the ground and the shot of the Pentax in the elements
04-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Andreas. I enjoyed all of them. Have never seen a jackdaw before so that was a treat.
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Cool, I'm keen to integrate my two loves of cycling and photography to get out of town abit more once I get settled. I like that massed flock shot taking off the ground and the shot of the Pentax in the elements
It's so easy, cheap and free to just jump on the bike and go. Thanks you, the flock is one of my personal favorites too.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series Andreas. I enjoyed all of them. Have never seen a jackdaw before so that was a treat.
Jackdaws are a plague to many people as they tend to go in big flocks in urban areas, think of them as a cross between crows and pigeons. I on the the other hand think that they are wonderful and funny birds that gets unfair hate. If only people kept garbage off the ground and emptied bins regularly the problem would get minimized.