Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Whiteny News
Lens: A-400 DA* 60-250 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada 
Posted By: normhead, 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Today started with a lot of noise and me doing the road work to keep our driveway from washing into the river. At some point the town clerk came over and advised us to do any shopping because if the dam broke our access road would be under water. " What was that thing about the dam breaking again?" We headed over to the grocery store to pick up two giant bags of dog food, our only real worry and then I took the camera out to take a few pics of the day's excitement.

At the grocery store Charlene our neighbour to the east old us she might have to come stay with us because the road might wash out. The road did have quite the stream across it, a washout was defintitely a possibility.

The bridge was closed, we had to go around the long way. It also was in danger of being washed out. If the dam let go the surge probably would have taken it out, and flooded our road.

Water was bipassing the dam on both sides, threatening to wash it right out. A crew was working to remove the squared timbers that regulate the lake level, to let more watter through.

Meanwhile at home we had the usual suspects on the porch railing. I didn't get pictures of the white throated sparrow, the Goldfinch or the White Breasted Nuthatch, though they were there. I just wasn't fast enough. The Goldfinches and Sparrow were the first one's we've seen this spring.

The porch rail was full of squabbling birdies.

All the usual suspects.

Junko...

Purple Finch

Chickadee

Redpoll.

And people say nothing ever happens in Whitney. Tune in tomorrow to see if the dam holds through the night.
Views: 1,040
04-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck to you and Tess, Norm. I will praying that the dam holds and all of you are safe. Nice documentary you have going of the rising waters. The second purple finch is my favorite of your birds. Keep us posted on how things are going.
04-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm, I hope everything holds together for you guys. The bird pics are simply outstanding - the color and detail seem perfect to me.

Jer
04-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well we've been out a bit...

The Bridge is still closed...

But it's still there.

The rivers as high as it's ever been. There's a rock with a tree on it we use to gauge the river level, the rock is underwater and the tree is gone. But this one is still there.

Since I was there yesterday the dam has been sandbagged on one side and heavy gravel has been put in on the other to shore things up.

There are still a couple of workers there, raising timbers from the spillway to increase flow through the dam.

Just below the dam a property owner watches the water rise,

Cold temperatures have slowed down the melt and precipitation has fallen as snow not rain, so it looks like things have stabilized.

Last edited by normhead; 04-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.
04-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep safe! Will be thinking of you both, and hoping for the best for you. And your neighbors!
04-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow be safe out there my friend. That more or less answers my question from the other thread as well.
04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Keep safe! Will be thinking of you both, and hoping for the best for you. And your neighbors!
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow be safe out there my friend. That more or less answers my question from the other thread as well.
No need for concern... the worst that would happen to us would be we couldn't drive to town for a couple days, and Tess tells me she's always wanted to canoe to town from her house. So it's an adventure. We're so far up the ridge only a return of an ice age with a big glacier would flood us.

04-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's good news, glad to hear it! Still, stay safe near the water if you go downhill!
04-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
That's good news, glad to hear it! Still, stay safe near the water if you go downhill!
How would we get pictures if we did that? But thanks for the concern,
04-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What an adventure Norm...TFS
04-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
What an adventure Norm...TFS
Thanks for commenting leptim...