Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Athletics Action Shot
Posted By: kipsta, 03-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Hello fellow photo people,

I took this shot of wifey in the 4x100m relay, I was just practicing my panning. I sent it to the NSW Masters Athletics people and they put it on their front webpage. The link is New South Wales Masters Athletics .
That's the state body of the masters athletics competitions.

I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on it. I think its okay but not front page material, but then I have no idea what i'm doing.....
Cheers and thanks in advance
Kip

Attached Images

Views: 2,684
03-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the shot and I think well worthy of the front page. Congrats on that!

Did you have the SR turned on for this? There was a discussion of panning with and without the SR and I tried some shots both ways. The SR can try to compensate for all the motion and actually add to the confused look of the shot, particularly in the background areas. It looks better most of the time to shoot panned, high speed subjects without the SR on. Give it a try next time.
03-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shot! Not your typical "Track" shot but i think thats what makes it so cool as well. Its definetly different and very dynamic. Congratulations!
03-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the colors and the motion effect.

03-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Kip,
It may help to form an opinion if you posted the exif data, lens etc.

However....I think the shot is great and is worthy of a front page. Somehow I think some 'pros' may well be kicking themselves for not having come up with this type of shot.

Now...did you try and do this or is it just a***e? (I wonder if that is international or uniquely Australian slang?) What ever, well done.
Cheers
Grant
03-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats Kip I agree that is a very good shot implying motion - very artistic. It is clear enough to show precisely what the event was, yet blurred enough to imply blinding speed. Intentional or not it is a nice piece of work.
03-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hiya everyone,
Firstly, you are correct GWP - more a... than class is an apt saying here.
Secondly, kept the SR on and just panned from about 20 metres away.
Thirdly, and I apologise for not putting it in earlier...
K10d, 1/45sec, SR on, f22, Aperture Prority, iso100, noflash, focal length 200m, auto exposure, auto white balance, focal length on 35m 300mm, time 1640hrs nearing sunset.

I just concentrated on getting an f22 and panned really horizontally as she ran around the bend near me in the relay. I was just mucking around at the time, basically practising panning for future meets.

Thanks for all your thoughts, as always they have been wonderful and very helpful indeed.

09-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Kipsta,
Looking good. With panning, many times people leave the SR off, but it is possible to use it. You can also up the shutter speed, you can also do panning at 1/125 or even 1/250. (Or use a monopod).

I was wondering how things were going. Was just about to send a mail. How are things moving along with the Eos 30D ?
It should have fine Auto-Focus tracking, and those 5 fps sure come in handy with sports. I do try and shoot some soccer matches, and often (with 3 fps) you get to catch the player just before hitting the ball, or just after.

With Pentax it is a waiting game, till a top-level DSLR will appear. Though possibly K30 next summer, will bring some improvement with fps. (Though in most other aspects, the K20 would do fine for me).
09-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The colour and action of this shot really work, I think they made a wise choice for the cover. Congrats.

Sometimes we get the most interesting shots when we experiment, I think these are comparible to the "happy accidents" my watercolour instructor used to rave about. Although I wish fewer of my shots were accidental....
09-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is one of the best action shots. So full of action and the blurr is right on the spot.
09-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Good work you can be proud of your wife and she can be proud of you.
09-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well deserved... Congrat's.. JIMBO
09-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Congrats Kip I agree that is a very good shot implying motion - very artistic. It is clear enough to show precisely what the event was, yet blurred enough to imply blinding speed. Intentional or not it is a nice piece of work.

Have to agree with Dave on this its fluid and motion and at 1/40-1/60s it shows up well

cheers
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think its all been said. A great shots that spells ACTION to a T.
Its often the accidental, quick fired shot that turn out to be the surprising best .