Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
U.S. Coast Guard in San Diego Harbor
Camera: Pentax X-5 Photo Location: San Diego, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: T.P.S., 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM

Snapped this one while on a whale watching tour as we were leaving San Diego Harbor on 3/13/2013. It was a very hazy day, so I used an unsharp mask to bring out more of the detail. I think it worked pretty well.

Feel free to let me know how you would have edited it to counteract the haze of the day. If you'd like, I can upload the original for review.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X-5  Photo 

Views: 1,799
04-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a bit of joint exercise going on there, good capture as you were on a boat too.
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you've done a good job dealing with the haze. I shoot a lot of photos on the water (the very humid SE Texas water) and haze is simply part of the ambient conditions.

Jer
04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Giving images a good dose of the clarity slider in post processing can be quite helpful at times for haze. For an X-5 at 195mm equivalent, I think you've done pretty well.

I was briefly in San Diego in 2011 and found the lighting difficult as well. This was some weird grey mush in the late afternoon in November.

Best shots came closer up at dusk:

ISO1600 at 1/2 second hand held - one of my better slow shutter efforts!

Last edited by southlander; 04-25-2013 at 06:47 AM.
04-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Looks like a bit of joint exercise going on there, good capture as you were on a boat too.
Thank you, sir! Yes, being on the whale watching cruise definitely facilitated this capture.
04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think you've done a good job dealing with the haze. I shoot a lot of photos on the water (the very humid SE Texas water) and haze is simply part of the ambient conditions.

Jer
Thank you. I would imagine you've perfected your technique for haze reduction when you'd prefer not to have it in your shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Giving images a good dose of the clarity slider in post processing can be quite helpful at times for haze. For an X-5 at 195mm equivalent, I think you've done pretty well.

I was briefly in San Diego in 2011 and found the lighting difficult as well. This was some weird grey mush in the late afternoon in November.
Thank you, as well. I purchased the X-5 because I wanted something better than a basic point-and-shoot, but didn't have the budget for a full-fledged dSLR. My father is a huge Pentax fan - a K-5 user as a matter of fact - so, I took his advice and experience into consideration and ended up with the X-5. I'm learning and will graduate to better equipment... someday.

I really like your second capture you posted. Especially amazing for a handheld shot.