Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My Take on Congaree NP
Lens: Sigma 18-250 HSM macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Congaree NP, SC 
Posted By: slowpez, 04-24-2013, 07:21 AM

My husband and I had an enjoyable day out with Jeff (baro-nite) and his wife at Congaree NP. Congaree is South Carolina's only national park and, while it looks like a swamp and has mosquitoes like a swamp, it is actually a floodplain. I have always had a great deal of difficulty photographing this place and this trip was no exception. The lighting is always tricky and I may never learn how to handle it. Anyhow, this is what I came up with. The fourth shot is an attempt at infrared and, while I think it adds some interest, I feel I didn't do it quite right. Still learning the ropes around Lightroom. The last shot is of a prothonotary warbler. One of the gems of the park (sorry about the noise).

Last edited by slowpez; 05-09-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Views: 951
04-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done Susan, the infra-red turned out pretty good. Love the lush green area and swamp. I can imagine the mosquito's are plentiful.
04-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Susan, the infra-red turned out pretty good. Love the lush green area and swamp. I can imagine the mosquito's are plentiful.
Thanks Dave. Hope you had a look a baro-nite's images. He did much better than I did.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/222727-landscape-congaree-np-meetup.html
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Susan, these look good to me. I find shooting in the "dappled" light of such places to be really challenging and looks to my eye that you've managed nicely. I very much like the second one - the B&W is very well done in my view.

Jer

04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice series and it looks to have been a good day to take some photos. Looks like a swamp to me and I would be bothered there were alligators waiting at the waters edge. Love the bird photo.
04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Susan, these look good to me. I find shooting in the "dappled" light of such places to be really challenging and looks to my eye that you've managed nicely. I very much like the second one - the B&W is very well done in my view.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I have several conversions of the B&W one and still can't decide which if any I like.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
very nice series and it looks to have been a good day to take some photos. Looks like a swamp to me and I would be bothered there were alligators waiting at the waters edge. Love the bird photo.
Thanks Bob.
04-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #7

I like the second picture a lot, but the last one is realy special, it is like surprising an elf, 'oops that human saw me' so beautyful...

04-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like your B&W. Forests can be darn difficult due to light/shadows, and composition-wise, it's hard to see the wood for the trees, literally!
04-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Love the second shot Susan. JIM
04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots under difficult lighting conditions. I also really liked the second black and white. Thanks for sharing.
04-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I am having connectivity troubles with the local wifi so I apologize for not giving individual replies. I do appreciate your having a look and I always enjoy reading your comments.
04-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Susan: you've really conveyed the color and quality of the light that day. And I love both the B&W shots. And you did much better with that warbler than I did!
04-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Susan: you've really conveyed the color and quality of the light that day. And I love both the B&W shots. And you did much better with that warbler than I did!
Thanks Jeff. I think we both did a pretty good job considering. I managed to get three usable shots of the warbler but they were pretty noisy.