Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Better to be lucky than good
Posted By: MaKettle, 03-07-2008, 11:55 AM

New to the forum, just picked up a K10d in December (talked my wife into letting me pick out my own Bday and Christmas present), have been using the kit lens to get familar with the camera, previously used an AE-1 (love it, still own it) but for the past 4 years mainly used a digital P&S, waiting until I could afford a decent DSLR. Deciding moment, went to two weddings/family events last summer, missed many once in a lifetime shots due to ISO noise with the P&S, and (don't tell my wife) I could no longer contain my envy of all the DLSR's I kept running into. After months of research I picked the K10 ( I'm a very "practical" spender) but now its time to add some glass. I decided my first lens would be the Pentax 50mm 1.4, this picture was taken the day it came, popped it on the camera, fell on the floor with delight (kidding) and took this of my daughter. Its not perfect, I seemed to have focused on her shoulder (MF), her face is slightly soft near the eyes, but I got lucky, I think the shot is a keeper, I love it, and I love my Pentax.
ISO100, F2.0, 1/10, SR on. Sorry for being so long winded, but if anyone is interested I'll share my Pentax/Hawk/Squirrel story in which I was neither lucky nor good.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,428
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice capture. I like these kinds of shot of my kids better than what might be considered more of a normal portrait shot.

tell us about the squirell/hawk. Sounds like that would be interesting!

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well I'm going to go ahead and fill you in on the hawk/squirrel story, I'm assuming someone will ask, I don't plan on being on-line this weekend and lastly its been a really boring day at work. I can simply tell you what happened, but I think its more fun to know all the details. Day starts with helping my wife run around town with deliveries, since I recieved the K10 I have been bringing it along to read the users manual and take pictures. My oldest daughter (17) makes fun of me and my new found best friend ( I've been known to fall asleep watching TV with my K10 snuggled safely in my arms) but I keep telling her, "I may come upon that once in a life time shot, and by-golly I'll have my camera". So were driving around town and out to the right of me I noticed a hawk (and there are a lot of them around recently) ,he's got a squirrel and he's flying about 10 feet off the ground, right down the front yards of about 5 homes, then crosses the street and lands in a tree about 15 feet in the air. As we drive by the tree, he is right next to/above the road, I wanted to stop and take a picture, but I thought the squirrel may be alive and didn't want my 11 year old to see the poor guys demise. Luckily he is already dead, so I drop my wife and daughter off at a customers house just up the street and circle back for a picture. This is a residential neighborhood, no traffic to speak of, when I drive back, he's on my right side (passenger side), so I drive past and do a U-turn, as I'm stopped I get the camera set-up, thinking "how would the PentaxForums "pros" shoot this" I normally shot in Av mode, so I dial in the largest aperture that still gives me a fast enough shutter speed in case he takes off while I'm shooting, forgot to check the ISO (doh), wished I had set to 100 but 400 not too bad. When I pull forward up to the tree, I cross into the other lane (as I mentioned , there was no traffic) he was no more than about 15 feet from me, holding onto the squirrel, looking straight at me, it was like a picture out of National Geographic, it was perfect, sun (what little was poking through the clouds) was behind me, not a single branch in the way, all I could think was "I can't wait to post this on the forum, and who would believe I got this great bird shot with the kit lens!!" I stop, pull up the camera, point and let the camera auto focus. Does anyone else’s lens sometimes go full hard to one limit and then back to the focus point? "wrrrrrrr bang", crap, that noise was enough to startle him, drops the squirrel, flies back farther into the tree, another hawk I didn't even see flies towards me over the van, that startles me and I'm lucky to hang on to the camera let alone get any pictures. I did take one after the first hawk landed, not very good. I didnt crop the post, if you look real close you can see him, when he was out front he filled the frame. Not lucky, and definitely not very good
Shot of a lifetime.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo