Posted By: tootall, 04-24-2013, 11:48 PM

Couldn't make it to the dawn service, but still took my boys to Kings Park

No one should outlive their kids.
Views: 832
04-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. They had a national record of 50,000 in attendance for the dawn service so I hear.
04-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The most chilling I remember was visiting an old lady in a farmhouse in 1985. She showed me a darkened lounge room with a picture rail with pictures of her brothers or cousins before they left, the typical diggers' farewell portraits. And each had a little cetificate signed by the king after their passing. I did not see the dates, so I do not recall if they all got killed the same day. For those from other countries in WWI the Australian army often formed units from the same town. It was not unusual for one shell to come in and kill all the young men from the town. In WWII they deliberately separate them to stop such devastation from single events.
04-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice shots. They had a national record of 50,000 in attendance for the dawn service so I hear.
Thanks, I heard it was the largest in Australia.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The most chilling I remember was visiting an old lady in a farmhouse in 1985. She showed me a darkened lounge room with a picture rail with pictures of her brothers or cousins before they left, the typical diggers' farewell portraits. And each had a little cetificate signed by the king after their passing. I did not see the dates, so I do not recall if they all got killed the same day. For those from other countries in WWI the Australian army often formed units from the same town. It was not unusual for one shell to come in and kill all the young men from the town. In WWII they deliberately separate them to stop such devastation from single events.
Thanks for sharing that Tim

04-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Fantastic shots.
I didn't make it out but my thoughts and respect to those Aussie and Kiwi soldiers who have served and serve currently today. A huge day in the relationship of our two countries, brothers in war.
An interesting fact I heard today that was back in 1915 Australia's population was only a shade over 5 million people yet they sent over 400,000 of their youngest and strongest to help with the war effort, absolutely amazing.
04-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I went to my first Anzac Day Dawn Service yesterday....it was good to see the large numbers of young people (8-9 years upwards) there.....a very moving experience...afterwards the local RSL put on an excellent Brekky.
Cheers, Pickles.