Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Real men can ride a pink bike.
Posted By: charliezap, 04-26-2013, 01:13 PM

I used to get my b's busted at GE when I rode my bike at lunch.The real color is magenta but I told them that it was MANgenta.They still laughed. Today I cleaned it up a bit and took it out for a hour shakedown cruise with no problems.It's a Dave Scott triathlon bike vintage 1985ish with Shimano 105 components.The chain wheel is a bio pace configuration and is elliptical supposedly giving you more useful output of energy.It was probably a gimmick at the time.The first shot is in the K5's posterization mode.With the tire pressure at 110lbs the seat is not your friend.
Name:  035.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  468.9 KB

Name:  027.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  466.5 KB

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  034-crp.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  211.4 KB

Views: 3,250
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing you don't have to worry much about anyone stealing it right?

04-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the mangenta bike

I had biopace on my Ultegra/600 equipped Reynolds 531c bike from around the same time. They're almost elliptical. The theory was very complicated and had something to do with optimising the power cycle. Experience showed that this only really has an effect at a low, steady cadence - time trialists and triathletes and others that grind their way along. Roadies tend to spin at a higher cadence and conventional wisdom in the peleton 15 to 20 years ago was that biopace is unnatural and it doesn't work at high revs and can destroy your knees. Of course, many roadies think that anything other than a road bike is the work of the devil and can lead to "bad habits" and many other unnatural practices which will "destroy your knees" and if you have "destroyed your knees" you can't spin at a high cadence and that's a fate worse than death. I changed to round chainrings on that bike and eventually gave them to a triathlete several years later after Shimano had stopped making them. The late (and mightily lamented) Sheldon Brown (Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information) had some good info on biopace. BTW, if you do wander over to his site, check out his April 1 special products like this one ShelBroCo Sonics.

Gel seat cover? Good grief. I'm not a skinny little whippet of a professional cyclist, but fat and padded doesn't work for saddles. The most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden, and I've regularly done 100 mile rides on it with no discomfort, is a skinny, racing saddle.They do cost a bit, but they are super comfortable. I got my latest one from "last year's stock" from a website in Ireland, delivered for $75. Mine is a Selle Italia Flight Ti, which is no longer made. Something like this Selle Italia :: MAX Yes, I know that it looks like it would be horribly uncomfortable, but it's not. You really should give a skinny saddle a go, Charlie. Your bum will thank you You could also check out Sheldon brown's saddle for real men, pink bike or not http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 04-29-2013 at 01:22 AM.
04-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love it ! Now a nice set of MANgenta spandex pants , get yourself a yellow jersey (ala Tour de France leader) and peddle away my friend.
04-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Love the mangenta bike

I had biopace on my Ultegra/600 equipped Reynolds 531c bike from around the same time. They're almost elliptical. The theory was very complicated and had something to do with optimising the power cycle. Experience showed that this only really has an effect at a low, steady cadence - time trialists and triathletes and others that grind their way along. Roadies tend to spin at a higher cadence and conventional wisdom in the peleton 15 to 20 years ago was that biopace is unnatural and it doesn't work at high revs and can destroy your knees. Of course, many roadies think that anything other than a road bike is the work of the devil and can lead to "bad habits" and many other unnatural practices which will "destroy your knees" and if you have "destroyed your knees" you can't spin at a high cadence and that's a fate worse than death. I changed to round chainrings on that bike and eventually gave them to a triathlete several years later after Shimano had stopped making them. The late (and mightily lamented) Sheldon Brown (Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information) had some good info on biopace. BTW, if you do wander over to his site, check out his April 1 special products like this one ShelBroCo Sonics.

Gel seat cover? Good grief. I'm not a skinny little whippet of a professional cyclist, but fat and padded doesn't work for saddles. The most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden, and I've regularly done 100 mile rides on it with no discomfort, is a skinny, racing saddle.They do cost a bit, but they are super comfortable. I got my latest one from "last year's stock" from a website in Ireland, delivered for $75. Mine is a Selle Italia Flight Ti, which is no longer made. Something like this Selle Italia :: MAX Yes, I know that it looks like it would be horribly uncomfortable, but it's not. You really should give a skinny saddle a go, Charlie. Your bum will thank you You could also check out Sheldon brown's saddle for real men, pink bike or not Saddles for REAL MEN!

Richard.
Thanks for the feed back Richard.I'll be 69 in Sept.and when I go out for a little cruise it does feel comfy to me. At my age I need a little creature comforts.--charliezap