Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A walk around with a K20D and a Sigma SD14
Posted By: little laker, 03-07-2008, 11:36 PM

I would first like to thank Contact Photo Arts for letting me use their first K20D, along with a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro lens for both it and my Sigma SD14.
Thanks folks I really enjoyed it

Although the sky was perfect for photography the grounds were full of mud from the melting snow. So I didn't get many pictures. However I did get a couple I wouldn't mind sharing.

Everything was handheld. Shot in the cameras lowest ISO (100 for the Pentax and 50 for the Sigma). SR was turned on in the Pentax, and the Sigma doesn't have it.
White balance was set manually in the beginning of the walk and left there.
I was shooting in AV for everything, with the f-stop set to 8.

The Pentax has a crop factor of 1.5 (I believe anyways) and the Sigma has a crop factor of 1.7. So the Sigma image should be a little larger at full zoom.

They were shot in Raw, and a straight conversion into a TIFF using DCRAW.
I then re-sized them down to 800mp, using Irfanview, and converted them once again into JPG's.
No other processing involved, and for that mater I won't be able to until I get home and onto my own computer.

Anyways here's the images.

Through the Pentax

link to the full sized image

Sigma

full sized image

Pentax

full sized image

Sigma

full sized image

The Sigma processes it's images differently than the Pentax. So if you really care to pixel peep please feel free to re-size the full sized images to the same size.
Views: 5,616
03-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Stu, you are making me rethinking about purchasing this zoom. My friend Joel bought this lens and it is really a performer except soft corners til f8

I found the colour great and it is a convinient zoom. I had a walk at pier with some gale today. Quite a lot of dust went into the sensor and it was really a pain in the ass.

In your bicycle shot, pentax version looks better than SD Sometimes I envy fovean sensor for its colour but I now feel better
03-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I was actually surprised with the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 picture quality James.
I would highly recomend this ens to anyone. And might buy one myself.

The truth is I love the SD14, however the K20D was also right at home in my hands.
And I don't have any personal preference in picture quality in todays sort of conditions.

The real test between these 2 cameras will probably be macro photography, when the flowers come up. And possibly weddings.
When the time comes I'll see if I can use the K20D for both.
03-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

curious..

Sounds like you had some fun!! All the pics are good and I personally can't see much difference in them... both camera seem to be pretty good....

But what you didn't mention was how the K20 felt compared to your K100? I realize there will be some difference but in general??

Kim

03-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stu, I have been hoping you would put these two camera together. They both seem to do a fantastic job. I bought a K20 and am very happy with it. I will be using it along with my K10 for weddings and portraits this year.
03-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Sounds like you had some fun!! All the pics are good and I personally can't see much difference in them... both camera seem to be pretty good....

But what you didn't mention was how the K20 felt compared to your K100? I realize there will be some difference but in general??

Kim
Hi Kim,
Both cameras felt right at home in my hands.

The K20D feels marginally smaller than the Sigma, so it would probably be easier for someone with smaller hands to use.
However it also feels just a hair heavier, so someone with limited strength or endurance might prefer the Sigma.

You can physically feel that both cameras are very well built. I wouldn't hesitate taking any on a hike.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Stu, I have been hoping you would put these two camera together. They both seem to do a fantastic job. I bought a K20 and am very happy with it. I will be using it along with my K10 for weddings and portraits this year.
I know that you'll love your new K20D Dave, It's a wonderful camera.

I'm really hoping that the camera store will loan me a K20D for at least one wedding this spring.
There is always a chance that I'll buy one, if I can get enough work for another camera.

I'm sure not regretting getting the Sigma, however if I was to look at cameras today it would be a harder decision.

I plan on doing more tests. If everything works out I'll buy a couple of flowers on Monday and do some close-ups with the same 2 lenses. And my flash set up as a remote slave.

I'll post the pictures Tuesday night after I get home. I want to process them this time
03-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Stu
Just to add my few thoughts. I have owned the Sigma 17-70 for 6 to 8 months and I fully endorse your comments. It is truly a great lens IMHO at least.
Sharp as a tack and very versatile, down to macro. I can recommend it highly.
If there is one small con, for really small macro it requires getting VERY close to subject.
But I have always got around that.
Cheers!

03-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Stu. These kind of real world comparisons are really useful for the rest of us.

Jer