Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Chernobyl? No, Winchester
Lens: Samyang 8mm Camera: Pentax K-7 (IR modified) Photo Location: Winchester,UK 
Posted By: karma mechanic, 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Today I visited a new location for wide IR shots. The sky was featureless so this was more of a recce to see what might work.

The remains of the Motor Garage:

The abandoned gymnasium:

The location is Bushfield Camp on the outskirts of Winchester. The Army moved out in the 70's, leaving the site to quietly fall apart.
The second one needs some work with the stitching, but I'll probably go back with a tripod and do it properly.
Views: 1,356
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots.

What setup do you have for IR?
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote
Great shots.

What setup do you have for IR?
Thanks!

After working my way through some older bodies I then converted a few K20D's, then finally bit the bullet and did the K7. It has an 830nm filter in place of the original IR-blocking filter and dust-shaker glass. The lens to sensor position is adjusted so that the focus range in IR is still more or less where it should be, although that varies according to the lens characteristics in IR.

With the Samyang I loosened the focus ring and then set it so that infinity focus is with the ring on the infinity position, this allow estimated focus to be set easily. Otherwise it is difficult because everything looks in focus on the screen.

The shots above had exposures of 1/50th at f/6.3, ISO 200.
05-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Great location, I would think that it work equally as well with contrasty b&w too, do you have any other shots from here?

These locations nowadays are getting so hard to come, really make the most of them when you do find one.

05-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Great location, I would think that it work equally as well with contrasty b&w too, do you have any other shots from here?

These locations nowadays are getting so hard to come, really make the most of them when you do find one.
I only took a few, it was mainly to see what worked. I can go back easily enough. Interestingly, some of the other buildings such as the armoury now have the windows and doors bricked-up, while fairly recent shots on Google show them open. So the opportunities are diminishing.

One more:

I'll go back when the sun is in line with that metal building rather than across it...
05-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that the first one is simply the best photo I've seen in some time. The unsettling combination of surreality and desolation is truly remarkable.

Jer
05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice photos. They look great as IR.
I visit Winchester pretty often so will check out this location when I'm next in the area (always love shooting decaying buildings)!!

05-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice, I had plans to convert my old K100d Super for IR but I ended up selling it instead. Already have a lot funds invested in other lens and working my way through home film development.
05-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
Very nice photos. They look great as IR.
I visit Winchester pretty often so will check out this location when I'm next in the area (always love shooting decaying buildings)!!
I suspect the vandalised interior of the armoury would be just up your street, some lock-up metal cages and water tanks. But very poor light.

The outside stuff is pretty featureless now, the IR and very wide angles give it some impact but it is hard to overcome the overgrown dullness of the place. Having said that I think you can probably get some results there! The parking spot for access is here, there's some space next to the gate: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.040419,-1.332119&spn=0.003484,0.006...h&z=18&vpsrc=6

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I have to say that the first one is simply the best photo I've seen in some time. The unsettling combination of surreality and desolation is truly remarkable.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I'll be back, as they say...