Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sharp-shinned hawk couple -- breeding.
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Bay of L'Islet-Verte wildlife refuge ISO: 200 
Posted By: jpzk, 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM

This was a very surprising "encounter" and I had not prepared myself for this at all !
Problem was that I entered a trail "as usual" and did not expect to see sharp-shinned hawks there: camera setting not quite as they should have been and the results speak for themselves --- far away, could not get any closer, through the branches, almost backlit ... blah, blah, blah ...
The calls were very loud and both birds were flying through branches, perched for a few seconds, "bred", then off to another tree ... this went on for quite a while.
Amazing!

Anyway, the pictures are here: Sharp-shinned Hawk - couple breeding. - a set on Flickr

I decided to take you to the Flickr site because: too many photos in one showing and the quality simply isn't there.
However, I managed to at least have "souvenir" shots. (Call it a "beginner's documentary" if you'd like )

Cheers!

JP
Views: 950
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The kind of experience that is simultaneous;ly thrilling and frustrating (for the photographer that is--the birds seem not to have been frustrated ;~)
05-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The kind of experience that is simultaneous;ly thrilling and frustrating (for the photographer that is--the birds seem not to have been frustrated ;~)
To be frank: I felt more than frustrated once I looked at the pics, asking myself: why didn't I try to get closer ? Then again, my pea brain told me to stay away and let the birds do their stuff !

I returned today at that same site: could hear them ... couldn't see them though.

At least, them birds had their good time !

Cheers!

JP
05-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey JP - at least you captured them! For the light conditions and all the branches around I think you did a fine job.

We have such a vast bird and wildlife population here at home, my wife and I are trying to get some pics of everything that we see on our property. I have to put my obsession for the ultimate sharp and perfectly lit images aside at times to do this, but it is just as fulfilling to get them all captured.

05-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Under those conditions you did a great job. Sometimes don't you just wish you had a saw and prior warning so you could get rid of those extra branches. Still, an enjoyable series and something you don't get to see.
05-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Under those conditions you did a great job. Sometimes don't you just wish you had a saw and prior warning so you could get rid of those extra branches. Still, an enjoyable series and something you don't get to see.
Well ... I think that in spite of the very poor quality of the pics that they will remain in my "collection" until I can get something better, if this ever happen again.
I plan to return over the next few days but there is a very slim chance that this will repeat itself soon. Once they breed, they are likely to start nesting and God knows where that's going to be !
The small forest where I spotted them is just right for nesting sharp-shinned though: mixed, mature forest. Their typical "nesting call" should soon give me the best clue, if that is where they decide to nest.

Cheers.

JP
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hey JP - at least you captured them! For the light conditions and all the branches around I think you did a fine job.

We have such a vast bird and wildlife population here at home, my wife and I are trying to get some pics of everything that we see on our property. I have to put my obsession for the ultimate sharp and perfectly lit images aside at times to do this, but it is just as fulfilling to get them all captured.
Thanks!

It is true that if you are going to try and get every species around your place, many will not become "Nat Geo" material, much like those I just posted here.
The satisfaction of having "proof" that I saw them "in action" is sufficient, given the situation at that time.

Cheers.

JP