Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Northern Flicker
Lens: Sigma 400mm f5.6 Camera: K-r Photo Location: My Garden ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: bigted, 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Actual aperture is 7.1 and shutter speed is 1/320.
Views: 888
05-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice and sharp
05-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lots of nice detail here.
05-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dynamo Quote
Nice and sharp
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Lots of nice detail here.
Thank you both for taking the time to visit and comment.

Stevi

05-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Very nice.
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shot, but wow, white balance is way too blue. Was it taken in the evening? Fortunately WB is easy to fix.

Is this full size? It's sharp enough to crop in tighter on the bird.
05-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice shot, but wow, white balance is way too blue. Was it taken in the evening? Fortunately WB is easy to fix.

Is this full size? It's sharp enough to crop in tighter on the bird.
Dan, it is full size and it was taken in the early evening (7:22pm). As for the WB I'm not sure how to fix that to be very honest.

05-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep you nailed it.
05-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Dan, it is full size and it was taken in the early evening (7:22pm). As for the WB I'm not sure how to fix that to be very honest.
I guessed evening because this cool white balance often happens then. I assume you shot in jpeg, otherwise you could easily warm up the lighting temperature before conversion. It's still possible in jpeg, depending on which processing program you use. I used Picasa to demonstrate, I moved the temperature slider all the way to warm, saved and repeated. I also cropped and added some contrast. It's a very sharp photo and after cropping is still 6mp, so you could easily print to 8X10:

05-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
I guessed evening because this cool white balance often happens then. I assume you shot in jpeg, otherwise you could easily warm up the lighting temperature before conversion. It's still possible in jpeg, depending on which processing program you use. I used Picasa to demonstrate, I moved the temperature slider all the way to warm, saved and repeated. I also cropped and added some contrast. It's a very sharp photo and after cropping is still 6mp, so you could easily print to 8X10:
It was shot RAW I'm just colour blind and I find making adjustments very difficult as I often can't see it. I like what you've done.
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It was shot RAW I'm just colour blind and I find making adjustments very difficult as I often can't see it.
That would make it tough. What program are you using for raw conversion? Can you see a colour difference in the version I posted?
05-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #12

Original Poster
That would make it tough. What program are you using for raw conversion? Can you see a colour difference in the version I posted?
Yes I can see the difference, but I'm not sure I could duplicate it. I've just switched over to a Mac and to be honest I have yet to invest in anything for processing. At the most basic level I use iPhoto which probably isn't much better than shooting JPEG.. I have tried GIMP, but I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I have also tried DXO (?) and while I could see some changes I wasn't getting it. It's hard when you can't see what everyone else does.

So for now I am shooting RAW with the hope that when I do get it and get a decent program for processing I can go back and fix things up.
05-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Have you tried the Pentax DCU4 software that came with the K-r? I still use it with my K20D and K-x, because I can process really fast (menus are the same as the camera menus). I bought Lightroom 4 for my K-01 and Q, and I am very impressed with it. Decent price too. In the past I had tried CS3, LR3 and Elements 6 and didn't like any of them.
05-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

Original Poster
Have you tried the Pentax DCU4 software that came with the K-r? I still use it with my K20D and K-x, because I can process really fast (menus are the same as the camera menus). I bought Lightroom 4 for my K-01 and Q, and I am very impressed with it. Decent price too. In the past I had tried CS3, LR3 and Elements 6 and didn't like any of them.
No I haven't tried it, largely because I have no idea what I am doing with it. I haven't even loaded it on my Mac. It's a little hard when you don't understand what you are looking at and what it's supposed to do. My thought is I really need someone local to show me how it's done and what I need to be looking for in a way I understand it. A tall order really.
05-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No I haven't tried it, largely because I have no idea what I am doing with it. I haven't even loaded it on my Mac. It's a little hard when you don't understand what you are looking at and what it's supposed to do. My thought is I really need someone local to show me how it's done and what I need to be looking for in a way I understand it. A tall order really.
It sure is a lot easier to learn when someone is there to show you. That`s a big advantage of Lightroom over DCU4. LR is everywhere on the net. Very few use Pentax software, even among Pentax shooters. And now Pentax is bundling completely different software with the Q, K-01 and K-30. That`s what pushed me to LR (along with the lower price compared to older versions). I`m not interested in learning new software with every new camera or camera system.

OTOH, you have DCU4 and it`s free, so if you want to give it a shot, here`s a good start: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-articles/206286-pentax-di...ini-guide.html