Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
melbourne car show..
Posted By: distorted_vision, 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM

hey guys, i went to the melbourne car show yesterday and the pentax came with me... i tryed my best not to take 'point and shoot shots'.. being at a car show with thousands of people swarming over all the cars, proved to be a challenge to take good shots..

Last edited by distorted_vision; 03-09-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Views: 1,715
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats' a nice one Deevee love the color of the floor and the angel of the shot. Well done (and no people a real bonus)
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thats' a nice one Deevee love the color of the floor and the angel of the shot. Well done (and no people a real bonus)
thanks mate,.. ive posted a few more pics up now also
03-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There were cars there? I wanted to have a look at the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, but didn't notice it there.

Seriously, though, the statistic is that 50% of models can spot a single lens reflex camera from a mile away. For the above shot, I was in a crowd of people milling about in the general area 10 metres from the elevated section (this shot is a slight crop) when a small gap appeared and I raised the camera and fired in one quick motion. Yet two of the four girls spotted me immediately, a nondescript dude in a big bunch of people... with a DSLR camera.

In general, they're a great bunch of girls, I chatted with Lauren B. on the Holden stand for maybe 15 minutes, an extraordinary green-eyed blonde from Jersey. Get this -- they're actually paid to talk to us!

You've nearly as much an eye for cars as you have for street shots. Those are great photos, Kev, I could not believe how busy the show was so you must've been really patient to get them without the throng getting in the way -- or maybe you've got bad BO and a mad look in your eyes! (j/k mate!).

03-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[QUOTE=distorted_vision;192624]hey guys, i went to the melbourne car show yesterday and the pentax came with me... i tryed my best not to take 'point and shoot shots'..

. . . . . . and you didn't, DV. These are really great images - particularly considering the environment of a public car show. I've tried and never come even close to the shots like these.

BTW, what's the blue "Boss" car? I'm guessing it's a Ford with the old Boss Mustang name attached. What's the mill in this one?

Jer
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote

There were cars there?

. . . two of the four girls spotted me immediately . . .

So'd the guy in the background - white T-shirt
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm, love the shot of the Renault F1 car mate !!Wouldn't have a few more of it would ya?

03-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks heaps for the positive feedback and comments guys!! cars mean a lot to me, and im stoked that you can pick up on that through my work. im about to go for a surf now, but ill upload some more pics later on.. i took about 250 shots and i would say about 75% of those are worth posting up, so ill see what happens

heres another one to keep you happy ,hehe

03-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So'd the guy in the background - white T-shirt
Background... what background?

Can't see his eyes too well; my guess is that he was looking in my general direction but there may have been something in the foreground that perhaps caught his interest.

Not a flattering impromptu shot of the young lady on the right, she was actually quite pretty but on a second attempt a little later on proved beyond my limited photographic skills when surrounded by white walls and a low white ceiling in the Mitsubishi hospitality area. As you'd expect, using the K10D's pop up flash the light was really flat; she wasn't.

Kev, sorry to hijack your thread. What impressed me most about your shots (crowd control aside) was how well you used the available lighting, which for many of us would be tricky, the Lamborghini and the last one in the separate post being my two favourites. Also, how the heck you got that high shot of the yellow Lambo? I don't recall there being anything to stand on. Was one of the models helpful enough to let you climb up on her shoulders? (the Mitsubishi girl above looked fit enough for the task, as it happens; some of these models must do serious gym time)

Last edited by G M Fude; 03-09-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Not sure what that last car was. Original post or mine said FPV... whoops.
03-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Note to self: Take K10D to next car show.........
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Note to self: Take K10D to next car show.........
...and as Dee Vee has shown us, a 12-24mm or other wide angle... Nice angles on these shots!
03-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice work ... I haven't been to the Motor Show in ages ... and I don't have a wide enough lens for it either.

I know quite a number of people attending MMS this year as part of the press section ... they get in prior to general public and get the better shots when the vehicles are untouched.

Looking forward to the relase of the new Falcon as well. If i can wangle it ... I may just get one as a work ute.