Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
st louis zoo
Posted By: Pentaxnut, 03-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Went to the st louis zoo today....still a little early but got a few good shots....tell me what you think

Rick

Views: 1,306
03-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not bad Rick #1 is the best I think. The others look a little soft and overexposed a bit.
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nicely composed Rick but some do look a little soft/overexposed. Which lens were you using? 3 is an amazing image. Was the bird successful in pinching food from the ground squirrel(?) ?

Paul
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Not bad Rick #1 is the best I think. The others look a little soft and overexposed a bit.
a few are a little soft.....I need to work on that

thanks for the comments

Rick

03-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Nicely composed Rick but some do look a little soft/overexposed. Which lens were you using? 3 is an amazing image. Was the bird successful in pinching food from the ground squirrel(?) ?

Paul
I agree a few are a little soft.....was using sigma bigma.... i need to use that lens more often to get used to it...and no the bird did not win against the prairie dogs he kept his treat.....

thanks for the comments Paul

Rick
03-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

cool man, i think me and the girlfriend are going to head out there on wednesday too. 70 degrees sounds like a good time at the zoo!
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the contrast in the "softer" images can be brought out quite easily in a photo editor. However it looks like the focus is off in the last three shots -- in each case behind the natural point of interest. I think this is an auto-focus issue and some fine tuning manually might improve future shots. Go for it!

03-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think the contrast in the "softer" images can be brought out quite easily in a photo editor. However it looks like the focus is off in the last three shots -- in each case behind the natural point of interest. I think this is an auto-focus issue and some fine tuning manually might improve future shots. Go for it!

im not sure if its a auto focus issue or operator issue.....either way i'll work on improving it..... all images are straight from camera and not processed ...i was also playing with the iso a bit......thanks for your comments

Rick
03-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wrxwheelman Quote
cool man, i think me and the girlfriend are going to head out there on wednesday too. 70 degrees sounds like a good time at the zoo!
we were there sunday about 1 and ther was'nt many people there...and alot of places were closed many animals were inside....but was still a good time

Rick
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't wait to get back. I was thinking about going Sunday, but just lacked the motivation, plus it was ANOTHER gloomy day, ugh !!! instead went to Faust Park off of Olive, and shot a card full o' raws for the first time. Lot's of geese there, haha

03-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's like a STL convention in here.... We'll be hitting the Zoo on Sat or Sun probably.
03-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series and I really like the bird prairie dog shot. I had a look at the last bear shot that was a bit soft and I'd say it's a matter of shutter speed. The lens is big and heavy as you know and 1/45th hand held is just too slow to get a clean and clear shot.

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/45 second = 0.02222 second
Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 67/10 = F6.7
Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
ISO Speed Ratings = 800
Focal Length = 23000/100 mm = 230 mm

The old rule of thumb was shoot the shutter speed = to the focal length (ie: 500mm =1/500th) SR will give you 3-4 stops but you still need to stay above 1/100th IMO with this lens at any focal length partly due to the weight. Was the light that bad for the bear? You're at a pretty high ISO and shooting wide open as well.

The goose shot (very nice BTW) shows the higher shutter speed/aperture stopped down, advantages. Very good image at ISO1600 as well. But the lens is really stopped down here a lot so the light must have been dramatically different than the bear.

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/350 second = 0.00286 second
Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 190/10 = F19
ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
Focal Length = 11500/100 mm = 115 mm

With the bear shot I might have used spot metering off the rocks in a brighter section and locked the exposure reading with a higher shutter speed and then composed the shot to fire. I bet you could have gotten 2 stops higher speed and 1 stop closed down on the aperture for a sharper image. The bigma, like almost all zooms (exception DA*'s?), doesn't perform at it's best when wide open.