Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Waxing Crecent Luna @ 840mm and 1428mm
Posted By: m8o, 03-09-2008, 10:47 PM

well, I finally got a tripod so can shoot the moon. I used the Sgma 300mm f/2.8, 2X TC, then 1.4X TC, and later added the 1.7X TC too. It need to be in that order BTW, as the 2x can't follow either the 1.4x or 1.7x.

I now realize I can't get by w/a broken rear LCD anymore, as I realize I need to get to the menu activate the IR remote, or use mirror lockup, etc. I was just watching the jiggle from trying to press the shutter. Eh, the K20D may come before I get the K10D off and fixed (too too many months overdue). These are near full frame, with about 1/5th cropped out of the 1st, and 1/7th cropped out of the 2nd so as to reduce the 'dead' space. (hm... actually, that might be 'negative space' ala the monthly contest, might'nt it?)

f/4, 1/4s, ISO100

f/3.5, 1/10s (big mistake), ISO100 (but pushed a lot in post, so... :ugh: )

I made a lot of mistakes (even forgot to bump up the ISO!), but I won't pain you by enumerating them. I hope it's clear tomorrow to try again. I may even go down to the beach for an un obstructed view to moonset, so I don't have to fight with shining the 1million candlepower light at the trees behind me to find a clear path from my deck to the moon and constantly readjusting my position... I was actually shooting through the ends of tree branches here ...so I didn't put these in Photo Critique because I know they suck! Just thought what the hey, and throw them out there. c&c's still welcome.
Views: 2,032
03-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just want to say this m0

This pyramid of teles on top of each other is actually incredibly hard to even lift off the horizon pointing at the moon.

Not only the view finder is dim and the manual exposure would be extremely difficult.

At least you got the image. I tried this several times in the past. All I got from these attempts were near falls of the lens on the ground, triggering some potential coronary artery spasm
03-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots m80 - it is a difficult task for sure. I find in my few attemps I prefer longer shutter speeds and try and leave the ISO as low as I can. A full moon is just crazy to capture at least for me ! It is still winter here but warming up. My last few attempts only allow a couple of tries as it was too damn cold - hoping to get better on spring and summer clear nights.
03-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad. I'm amazed that you got anything out of that many stacked converters. I would have thought the image loss would just be a total blur. Tough enough to reduce the shake at that FL. Must be a good tripod. I'm going to give the 1.7 and Bigma a try this month now that I have a much more solid tripod.

03-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This pyramid of teles on top of each other is actually incredibly hard to even lift off the horizon pointing at the moon.
Not only the view finder is dim and the manual exposure would be extremely difficult.
At least you got the image. I tried this several times in the past. All I got from these attempts were near falls of the lens on the ground, triggering some potential coronary artery spasm
I'll tell you... it wasn't that bad for me at all.

The complete combo w/camera and extra grip is around 12 - 13 lbs. Quite manageable for me. Tripod and head is about another 15lb or a bit more. I can still straight arm the whole thing and move it around. When I got the lens I purchased the bigger tripod mount for the lens from Sigma. Key is center of gravity I guess. I reversed the tripod mount; with all the TCs it was only ever so slightly front heavy. Meaning it was the closest to balanced with all the TCs. Without the 1.7x it was more nose heavy.

Was even better today as I started at dusk so had some light. Yesterday I exclusively used Auto-focus (no kidding); the in body screw to lenses coupled focus with the 2x + 1.4x, and focused close manually then dialed in from the TC when I added the 1.7x (that acts like a focus limiter actually so works out even better! ) . Today though, I did pure manual focus and was able to see very well.

I'll see how it came out later. I'm still logged in and working so haven't d/l'ed them yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shots m80 - it is a difficult task for sure. I find in my few attemps I prefer longer shutter speeds and try and leave the ISO as low as I can. A full moon is just crazy to capture at least for me ! It is still winter here but warming up. My last few attempts only allow a couple of tries as it was too damn cold - hoping to get better on spring and summer clear nights.
Ah, so I wasn't that mistaken with keeping ISO at its cleanest. I did try bumping it today tho just to experiment. I'll see. Ya, that aluminum of the tripod was cold last night , and tonight.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Not bad. I'm amazed that you got anything out of that many stacked converters. I would have thought the image loss would just be a total blur. Tough enough to reduce the shake at that FL. Must be a good tripod. I'm going to give the 1.7 and Bigma a try this month now that I have a much more solid tripod.
I just purchased a Manfrotto 3036 tripod and Bogen 3030 Head from stan b here for a good price. The tripod is a monster and dictionary example of stability. The Head is way too weak once I stack all the TCs; it drops/droops a good deal as I tighten up to my focus point. As I don't need to worry about the horizon, I was altering the tripod leg lengths for my fine tuning to pan up or down fractions of a degree. I'll see how today went. I'm not expecting much though.. I think shake was more as I pressed the shutter; dang dogs running around on the deck. ...wish I could activate my IR remote (and mirror lock-up?). It would be a completely different story if so.

Last edited by m8o; 03-10-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: head is 3030 not 2030
03-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
edit: removed for a better one in the next post.

Last edited by m8o; 03-11-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: remove the image for a better one the next post
03-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I found another from the set much sharper. (previous image removed)

But @ this point I'm most likely putting this aside, until I get my camera fixed or another, so I can activate the IR remote. Too many throw aways having to touch the assembly to press the shutter.

1428mm, f/3.2, 1/15s, ISO800

Last edited by m8o; 03-11-2008 at 07:37 PM.