Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Happy Halloween - Revisited....
Lens: DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Bamberg, Germany ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.8 
Posted By: Heie, 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Aperture is actually f/6.3, but oddly enough that isn't a selection option...

Anyway, this was a photo I took the day before Halloween in 2011 and it was my first foray into 1:1 macro shooting - that DFA 100mm WR is just a gorgeous lens

The top photo is the original (edited in LR3) version, and the bottom photo is after reimporting the RAW file and then reprocessing it in Adobe Lightroom 4 and then running it through Topaz DeNoise.

Name:  Spider (1280x848).jpg
Views: 266
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0567 - Remake (1280x848).jpg
Views: 207
Size:  74.4 KB

Not only have I become a better photographer (I think ), but I honestly never expected the processing of photos to be a skill that would improve as well.

I found some spiders under a bridge that night when walking around. And by some, I mean a web that was about 6-7 feet (2m) long and inhabited by over 50(!) spiders. And that was just at my eye level, not counting the entire ceiling of the bridge I was under. How flies still managed to get stuck in it is beyond me - there were so many it looked like paper mache it was so thick in places. This shot was with the spider about 1 inch (2.5cm) from the front of my lens. If I had my tripod with me, I would have been able to focus a bit more exactly - this was the best balance I was able to strike between leaning against the web lined wall and not elbowing another spider/unknowingly colliding with one with my head. I literally was afraid I would be framing the shot and feel one on the back of my neck at any moment - all they had to do was rappel down from directly above me. It's good to be fearless get in and out quick!

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-14-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
Views: 823
05-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like he is carrying a pumpkin on his back, face carving and all. Can you see it, two eyes and mouth that smiles but whose lower lip turns down. So perfect for Halloween.
05-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quite an improvement, I enjoyed your narrative. Spooky where you were for sure.
05-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice I quite like these and the pp as well.

05-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This thing looks way to big on the screen of my iMac.

Please take pictures of nice things in future!