Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Nik Silver Efex Pro
Posted By: slowpez, 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Finally broke down and bought this program after seeing what could be done with it. This is my first try at a B&W using the program. The original was rather bland with a really nothing sky. It was raining to boot. So instead of tossing the photo I decided to try out Nik. What do you think? Is it too much? I couldn't believe the detail it pulled out of the sky.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Views: 1,764
05-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Finally broke down and bought this program after seeing what could be done with it. This is my first try at a B&W using the program. The original was rather bland with a really nothing sky. It was raining to boot. So instead of tossing the photo I decided to try out Nik. What do you think? Is it too much? I couldn't believe the detail it pulled out of the sky.
BW looks great Susan, now you need to go back and get a pic in the golden hour.....TFS Cliff
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
BW looks great Susan, now you need to go back and get a pic in the golden hour.....TFS Cliff
Thanks Cliff. Will be a while before we get back to this state park.
05-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree about the detail here Susan and the b/w almost gives it a hand drawn pencil look, looks like you have a fun program to play with.

05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well done Susan - it really did save that shot I quite like it.
05-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like both shots but good to see what that software does.
05-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Finally broke down and bought this program after seeing what could be done with it
Interesting, this Nik Silver Effex Pro I know nothing about, a bit like me and so many other things in life.

Does it act as a plug in/preset for Lightroom/CS6 or is it stand alone application?

05-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Susan. I like what the NIK software did. I have this color Efex Sliver Pro .. just have not used it yet. looks like I better start.

Sue
05-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think it looks good in black and white and I agree it is much more captivating in B&W than in the original colour version. I think photos like this with lots of strong lines make great B&W conversions. Thanks for sharing.
05-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have recently discovered nik silver effex. Once one gets into it, it is a surprisingly intuative and simple program to use.

Here is an example
Attached Images

05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought the NIK set when the sale was last month, but have not even tried any of it out yet. This is a great example here - you've given me the push to start working with it.
05-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
Den
Veteran Member

Way to go. Nicely done. I had one Nik plugin and as such Google gave away the whole suite for free awhile ago. I use Silver Efx and Topaz B&W. They're both very cool. You can take that image and use single image HDR treatments for even further enhancement of the sky.
05-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stormtech, Den, thanks This is the first view one gets of Milford Sound in south western New Zealand. A truly awesome place.

The B&W looks much better printed at 20x30" than it does here on the screen. The funny thing was, I never really played with this shot from 3 years ago until I was looking for something to convert to B&W. I'll have to bear the conversion more in mind when looking for future 'keepers'
05-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I agree about the detail here Susan and the b/w almost gives it a hand drawn pencil look, looks like you have a fun program to play with.
Thanks Bob. It is fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Susan - it really did save that shot I quite like it.
I agree Dave. The sky in the original was just awful but I quite like what Nik did with just a few tweaks from me.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I like both shots but good to see what that software does.
Thanks EM.
05-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Interesting, this Nik Silver Effex Pro I know nothing about, a bit like me and so many other things in life.

Does it act as a plug in/preset for Lightroom/CS6 or is it stand alone application?
You can get the whole suite here for $126 USD using the coupon code. Used to run around $500 I think. Silver Effex is just one part of the suite. It is a plug-in for lightroom, photoshop (I use it on an old copy of PS 6.0 so it should work on all versions), elements and one other one whose name escapes me. Someone said it runs as a stand-alone too but I am not sure about that.

You can check it out and get the discount code here:
Ron Martinsen's Photography Blog: Nik Complete Collection by Google now only $149 (Before Discount)