Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Birds
Lens: DA* 300 / Pentax 1.7TC Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 400 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: daacon, 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Had a quick test of the DA* 300 mated to the Pentax 1.7TC - harsh light (noon ish) and there was not much action in the wetlands , other than the mosquitos are in full swing I had the camera / lens on the tripod but with a loose ballhead as they birds there are constantly on the move. There will be more tests later.

Click on image twice for larger view.

Couple of Grackles

#3 Redwinged Blackbird signing for a mate

#4 Rednecked Grebe

#5 Couple mallards taking a break on shore discussing the days activities ?

Views: 845
05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A great series of sharp detailed shots.
05-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

NIce crisp, well exposed shots Dave. You are mastering that DA 300 pretty quickly. All your recent bird shots have been excellent. Thanks for sharing.
05-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful bird shots, Dave! You nailed focus with that TC.

05-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots. I think I can see a 300 in my future. Don't know how long before I get a teleconverter to match it though.
05-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A great series of sharp detailed shots.
Thanks for looking and commenting EM.

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
NIce crisp, well exposed shots Dave. You are mastering that DA 300 pretty quickly. All your recent bird shots have been excellent. Thanks for sharing.
ha thanks fotogaffer - it's pretty simple point and shoot . The hard part is to get use to that long a prime. The glass itself works quite well.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Beautiful bird shots, Dave! You nailed focus with that TC.
Thanks Stefan the TC works quite well a bit of hunting at times , but as has been well documented just get the focus close manually and it (the AF) will kick in.

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Very nice shots. I think I can see a 300 in my future. Don't know how long before I get a teleconverter to match it though.
Thanks Trev - no regrets here about the 300 purchase. I had the TC longl before and rarely used it, al;most sold it a few times, sure glad I didn't .
05-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice set Dave. It looks like that TC and the lens work very well together.

05-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchase Dave. I have actually coveted that lens, but Norman says "we don't need it" ... I say, "needs got nothing to do with it" in my best Clint Eastwood voice.

Nice pics.
05-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That lens is doing you proud Dave. Actually you are doing it proud. Love the second grackle shot especially.
05-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Congrats on the purchase Dave. I have actually coveted that lens, but Norman says "we don't need it" ... I say, "needs got nothing to do with it" in my best Clint Eastwood voice.

Nice pics.
What does he know Tess. Go for it.
05-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new lens dave, as most of us guys know, longer is better. It brings out our natural hunting instincts. Lets us be skulky and a safe distance from the prey and feeds into all kinds of primordal instincts. The longer the thing I'm pointing, the more satisfied I feel.

That being said, the biggest thing stopping Tess from getting the 300 F4 is the thought that some day we might luck out and get a FA 300 ƒ/4.5. and the thought of having to carry another long lens. She just likes to blame these things on me (typical wife behaviour) .... The 4.5 is what she really wanted, and we have to make sure the wife gets what she really wants... no good can come of it if she doesn't.

I wonder how the TC would work with the 4.5. We have the TC so that should definitely be a consideration.
05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
Nice set Dave. It looks like that TC and the lens work very well together.
Thanks Tim - in decent light they do indeed work well. Lose two stops with TC.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Nice pics.
Thanks Tess . I have needed this lens for about 2 years nows. I almost bought one last one from the Marketplace here but some sibling car repairs were required. Then I got more than I was expecting in a Tax Refund (funny how we are happy when the Government gives us our money back ) anyway I decided then and there I would buy the next one that came up and fortunately for me one came up pretty quick (as now our Roof needs new shingles which is ridiculously expensive out here ) - but it's too late I laready bought it ! No regrets at all so far.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That lens is doing you proud Dave. Actually you are doing it proud. Love the second grackle shot especially.
Thanks Susan as mentioned you had it before me and while seeing your shots my wants slowly turned into needs . ;

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Congrats on the new lens dave, as most of us guys know, longer is better. It brings out our natural hunting instincts. Lets us be skulky and a safe distance from the prey and feeds into all kinds of primordal instincts. The longer the thing I'm pointing, the more satisfied I feel.

That being said, the biggest thing stopping Tess from getting the 300 F4 is the thought that some day we might luck out and get a FA 300 ƒ/4.5. and the thought of having to carry another long lens. She just likes to blame these things on me (typical wife behaviour) .... The 4.5 is what she really wanted, and we have to make sure the wife gets what she really wants... no good can come of it if she doesn't.

I wonder how the TC would work with the 4.5. We have the TC so that should definitely be a consideration.
Well now are you sure you are talking about a lens here My wife and I have been together some 27 years because it's always my fault and I accept that I think any 300 prime would be fine and the FA would work on the full frame that will be announced next week, or the week after, or perhaps ..... Unlike others I am quite content with the APS-C sensor and will likely get the next generation this fall if it comes out. A new TC is on the road map as well but none of know just how long that road really is. I don't find the quality suffers much with the TC - focus is a little trickier but very manageable and of course the two stop loss you really want to use it in decent light. Works great on birds , I have not tried many flower / close up shots where a tripod could be used and shutter speed is not really an issue.
05-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am surprised you are getting such great results with the TC, apparently it is of a good quality just like the lens and camera.
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

We find the TC works great on macros and close ups, not so good at distance.