Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12 Likes  
Hummingbird nest - 5/16 - photo updates
Posted By: Bud, 05-15-2013, 07:49 PM

Sooooo, I'm sitting on my deck Monday morning when I notice my first hummingbird visitor for the year. It's a female, and she's collecting spider webs from my kitchen windows. I witness this event annually and always try to follow the females when they leave...never, however, discovering their final destination. (Hummingbirds use spider webs as the glue to hold their quarter-sized nests together )

Until this time...

She flew away and I didn't see where she had gone, but then returned a few minutes later for more building materials. This time I watched as she flew up to perch on a limb just outside my 2nd floor bedroom window. Cool, I thought...her nest must be somewhere close by. I then watched as she flew back down and gathered some more spider webs...and returned to the same perch.

Hmmmm...maybe I should go get the binoculars and investigate further...or better, still...my camera

You may have figured it out by now, but this may turn out to be one of my favorite hummingbird seasons ever.

Located on a branch, extending from neighbor's locust tree, approximately 8 feet from my bedroom window, I now have my first documented Ruby-throated Hummingbird nest under construction and in my yard! I'm hoping I'll be able to record and share much of what happens here over the next few weeks.

Here's what I have so far...

"Under Construction"

"Camouflaged"

From below...

From my convenient 2 nd floor observation point

Thanks for looking!!

Bud

Last edited by Bud; 05-17-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: edit title
Views: 3,775
05-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Wow, amazing shots, well done!

05-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated!

When I was a kid my brother and I found a hummer's nest, built in the fork of a pine bough, on the ground. We almost stepped on it. Apparently the limb had snapped. It was, as you say, tiny; the cavity for the eggs was about the diameter of a quarter; it was built of lichens and pine needles, very neatly made. We kept the nest for many years, but somehow in the many years since its finding it disappeared.

I once was privileged to see and hear a courtship display. The male dives at full speed from perhaps 50 or 60 feet, pulling out at the last instant, repeating this several times. It is spectacular, and noisy!
05-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Well I've been well and truly educated today, I didn't know any of this.

Keep us posted as the nest occupancy goes up.
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic ...

05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Great story and shots.--Hope to see more Bud.--charliezap
05-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Closed Account

That's just awesome! I've never seen shots of a nest with and without a Hummer on/in it so I never knew the exact size to look for. Thanks so much for sharing and beautiful captures! Happy shooting!
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

VERY interesting! I never knew that. You're sure lucky to have that so close. Keep us posted

05-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for the comments! I've been a hummingbird fanatic for a very long time. This is, easily, the coolest event I've witnessed so far

Today's photo updates

Progress continues on the nest...

It's looking very stylish with the new lichen and human hair accents

And mom continues to collect spider webs for reinforcement and all sorts of things for padding the nest

And, of course... more lichen...

Making it so stylish, in fact, that it seems to be attracting the attention of other mothers-to-be....

She and the "visitor" were gone for quite awhile and I'm certain that a good thrashing took place

And then, the mother-to-be got back to the business of collecting materials for nest building

More updates to follow in the coming days
05-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This is just terrific! Your pictures are just stunning! I cannot believe that you can see a strand of human hair on the nest. I once observed a hummer build a nest over a season and took some pictures, but then I did not have this vantage point. I had to shoot at the small nest standing under the tree. I will definitely look forward to more updates.
05-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appreciate the update, keep em coming.

It doesn't look like your photography is disturbing her at all. How are you hiding?
05-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #26

Wow! That's a first for me. Thanks for sharing.
05-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Totally amazing, I'm amazed NG hasn't sent some photographers to camp out in your window. We have one coming to our feeder right now, but I have no idea where the nest might be.
05-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #28
smf
Pentaxian

I add my thanks and praise.
I'm looking forward to any additional photos.
Best wishes, Bud!
05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Great series, Thanx for sharing..
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Enjoyed the update. So glad you are keeping watch. Some fantastic images here. Looking forward to more.