Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12 Likes  #1
Hummingbird nest - 5/16 - photo updates
Lens: DA*300 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: My yard in southwestern Ohio 
Posted By: Bud, 05-15-2013, 07:49 PM

Sooooo, I'm sitting on my deck Monday morning when I notice my first hummingbird visitor for the year. It's a female, and she's collecting spider webs from my kitchen windows. I witness this event annually and always try to follow the females when they leave...never, however, discovering their final destination. (Hummingbirds use spider webs as the glue to hold their quarter-sized nests together )

Until this time...

She flew away and I didn't see where she had gone, but then returned a few minutes later for more building materials. This time I watched as she flew up to perch on a limb just outside my 2nd floor bedroom window. Cool, I thought...her nest must be somewhere close by. I then watched as she flew back down and gathered some more spider webs...and returned to the same perch.

Hmmmm...maybe I should go get the binoculars and investigate further...or better, still...my camera

You may have figured it out by now, but this may turn out to be one of my favorite hummingbird seasons ever.

Located on a branch, extending from neighbor's locust tree, approximately 8 feet from my bedroom window, I now have my first documented Ruby-throated Hummingbird nest under construction and in my yard! I'm hoping I'll be able to record and share much of what happens here over the next few weeks.

Here's what I have so far...

"Under Construction"

"Camouflaged"

From below...

From my convenient 2 nd floor observation point

Thanks for looking!!

Bud

Last edited by Bud; 05-17-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: edit title
Views: 3,776
05-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is AWESOME, it really is. Keep us updated with this little extension of the family, and try to get some shots of the kids when you become...ehh...uncle?

Also, really awesome shots, this promises to be a great summer for photography for you!
05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
That is AWESOME, it really is. Keep us updated with this little extension of the family, and try to get some shots of the kids when you become...ehh...uncle?

Also, really awesome shots, this promises to be a great summer for photography for you!

DItto!!
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's amazing, can't wait to see the little ones.

05-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had heard hummingbirds used spider web to make their nests, but I had never seen one, and the maple keys were a surprise. Those last couple of shots showing Mama on her nest are superb!
05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

While sitting on the porch this evening being dive-bombed by our usual 3 hummers, my wife and I were talking about this exact same thing. And here you are with the find of the century!

It looks like you have a perfect vantage point. And the pics so far are so sharp and well lit. I'll be watching for updates as the season progresses. I will be paying more attention as you did to hopefully find my own nest some day.

Thanks for sharing!
05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Den
Veteran Member

How lucky you are to be able to observe this. Thanks for sharing and keep the adventure coming!

05-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool. Thanks for teaching me something today.

M
05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Everything he said +1
05-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are so lucky!
We have hummers year round and I have never seen a nest in person.
Keep us posted on the developments
05-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Whaooooo congrats that is very cool. And it appears you have a great view !
05-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome. Very nice shots by the way and I sure am looking forward to more.
05-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

whow...hummer envy
05-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What a super discovery! Love this thread and hope you will continue to photograph for us. Thank you!!!!!!
05-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Another vote from me. Wonderful shots already and I can't wait to see what happens next.