Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first Baltimore Oriole
Lens: Bigma Camera: K5 Photo Location: Saugus Ma. 
Posted By: charliezap, 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM

While at ground level in the yard taking shots around the feeder I heard a different bird song coming from over 200ft away high in the trees.I could only get one hurried shot off and Ma Audubon said that it was a first year Baltimore Oriole.I see them on occasion but have never photographed one. Another bonus for me was the Hummingbird that found the 2nd feeder that is hanging off the deck. The goldfinches hang around all day and they like the Nijer seed with small sunflower chips in the mix.--It's going to be a great Spring and Summer hopefully.--charliezap
Name:  019-z.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  223.6 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  271.0 KB

Name:  024crp.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  174.3 KB

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  99.5 KB

Views: 1,055
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done Charlie - really creamy bokeh on all these shots. Nice detail on the birds and nice picture of the set up.
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that you got a pic of a Baltimore Oriole, you'll have to post a pic of a Boston Red Sox. The color on the goldfinch is awesome Charlie, take care of your hummer you may have some babies soon.
05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never gotten a shot of an Oriole outside of the Ballpark. For that matter, I've only seen one a couple of times in my life.

05-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
an Oriole
This sounds like it ought to be a breakfast cereal, rather than that highly coloured wee bird.

An amazing capture, I think that you may have this birding lark cracked you know.
05-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
This sounds like it ought to be a breakfast cereal, rather than that highly coloured wee bird.
Well, the Baltimore part of the name originates in some religious dust-up you folks had over there. George Calvert Lord Baltimore, whose family crest featured black yellow & red, founded Maryland as a haven for British Catholics. The bird was named in his honor due to its colors (sorry--I mean, "colours") more than its abundance in this area.
05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nicely done Charlie - really creamy bokeh on all these shots. Nice detail on the birds and nice picture of the set up.
Thanks Dave.When the subjects cooperate it makes everything a lot easier to capture.--charliezap

05-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

FWIW, you can attract orioles using... I want to say orange slices? I'd have to look it up, but you can actively feed them with oriole-friendly foodstufs which will (hopefully) keep them near. He was probably hanging around for your hummingbird food - they'll go after that as well.
05-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Now that you got a pic of a Baltimore Oriole, you'll have to post a pic of a Boston Red Sox. The color on the goldfinch is awesome Charlie, take care of your hummer you may have some babies soon.
Getting a picture of a Boston Red Sox should be easy Bob.Lately they are sluggish and easy to catch.--charliezap
05-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is going to come as a blow to you Charlie but the name Baltimore no longer applies to the oriole. It is now the Northern Oriole. Don't feel too bad as they have also taken the Louisiana Heron and renamed it the Tricolor Heron. Poor Audubon is most likely spinning in his grave. Looks like you are having a great time with that set-up. Keep it coming no matter what state they are from.
05-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I've never gotten a shot of an Oriole outside of the Ballpark. For that matter, I've only seen one a couple of times in my life.
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote

An amazing capture, I think that you may have this birding lark cracked you know.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
FWIW, you can attract orioles using... I want to say orange slices? I'd have to look it up, but you can actively feed them with oriole-friendly foodstufs which will (hopefully) keep them near. He was probably hanging around for your hummingbird food - they'll go after that as well.
Hopefully before the summer is out I'll have a nice shot of a colorful Oriole.--charliezap