Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stick Insect Macro with K20d
Posted By: roentarre, 03-11-2008, 04:24 AM

I was basicly eating my take away dinner in front of the computer watching CSI.

Then I spotted the green stick insect crawling around on my bedroom wall! So I whacked on Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro and took a few shots on this babe.

The colour is rich as usual and the noise is relatively low - thank God for k20d

f4 ISO 400

f6.3 ISO 400

I am so glad that I could use ISO 400. The camera seems to take the flash pretty well.
Views: 1,912
03-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. The colour is great and the contrast between the eyes and body colours is very nice. Looks like he is missing an antenna. Did you reverse one of the images? The first is my favourite.
That's what you get for living in a warm country and leaving the window open!!
03-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Grissom would have been proud of you!
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL in your room? Nicely done James, and great colors on this little guy!

Regards,
D

03-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice one James man those eyes are buggy ,great colors umm has the K20D come down in price yet haha ?
03-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

something about the angle in the 2nd one... I like that a lot. great execution. but come one now, K10D would have produced great result too...
03-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

*whew* those are excellent James. You and the k20d make a very good pair. And throw in that Voigtlander 125mm you got yourself quite a set up. Nice handling on your part!

03-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shot, well done. I like the contrast of the eye against the green.
I am not being picky, and I may be wrong, but that looks more like some form of grasshopper than a stick insect, which is more brown and literally looks like a piece of dead stick with legs.
Well done anyway!
03-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Very cool. The colour is great and the contrast between the eyes and body colours is very nice. Looks like he is missing an antenna. Did you reverse one of the images? The first is my favourite.
That's what you get for living in a warm country and leaving the window open!!
Hi Peter. Melbourne is sitting in a rather temperate zone and insects are rare sites unless travelling a bit of distance into the eastern country area.

This was rather a rare find as I got 10 fruits trees in my courtyard. Quite a proud achievement

I did not reverse the image but I took about 20 shots or so before it took off. I actually stun the poor insect trapped inside a plastic cup. The repeated flash also froze the insect. However, it still managed to fly away after 20 minutes - blame on its karma.

The colour is rather impressive with k20d

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Grissom would have been proud of you!
I wish I know more about entomology like the way he does. I wish he is proud of me hehe

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
LOL in your room? Nicely done James, and great colors on this little guy!

Regards,
D

Yeah, I was eating deep fried noodle with crispy pork. I decided to close the window and sliding door. Then I spotted this fellow on the wall. Then I lighten up the room, trap it with a cup following by shaking the cup voilently... then you can picture the rest
03-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice one James man those eyes are buggy ,great colors umm has the K20D come down in price yet haha ?
I was having the same thought. But I cannot resist the idea of k20d out there instead of sitting in my hands.

More opportunities on the weekend for more shoots

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
something about the angle in the 2nd one... I like that a lot. great execution. but come one now, K10D would have produced great result too...
Thanks there. I am sure k10d can produce similar shots with good colour. But noise would be a bit more and tougher to manage in PP

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
*whew* those are excellent James. You and the k20d make a very good pair. And throw in that Voigtlander 125mm you got yourself quite a set up. Nice handling on your part!
With great gear, I will not be able to blame on the gear but myself if things are not to my liking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Nice shot, well done. I like the contrast of the eye against the green.
I am not being picky, and I may be wrong, but that looks more like some form of grasshopper than a stick insect, which is more brown and literally looks like a piece of dead stick with legs.
Well done anyway!
You are probably right. Not sure how to call that one. This one maybe more like it?

Or something else.

I remember it was almost hard to photograph because the body is very elongated and it is impossible to photograph the entire lens without doing macro on its tiny head...
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well done as always James . Thanks for sharing and making my keyboard wet from the drooling ! K20D is an excellent camera but your skill is equally impressive .

One day you can tell the world : " I shoot "stick" and bikini model for a living ! " .

Tran
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

trouble is, Roentarre, when it comes to insects etc I am no expert either.
Great shots, however, well done!
03-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, that's ISO 800?! I think more and more that I'll definitely be hitting B&H to pick up a K20D soon... (just wish there would be a price drop already so I could feel like I'm getting a bargain! I can't help it, I'm just like that. )
03-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Well done as always James . Thanks for sharing and making my keyboard wet from the drooling ! K20D is an excellent camera but your skill is equally impressive .

One day you can tell the world : " I shoot "stick" and bikini model for a living ! " .

Tran
I wish. hehe

Macro is more fun in fact.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Wow, that's ISO 800?! I think more and more that I'll definitely be hitting B&H to pick up a K20D soon... (just wish there would be a price drop already so I could feel like I'm getting a bargain! I can't help it, I'm just like that. )
Hehe. The 2nd shot was from k10d taken in the past. The shot was taken in PEF with heavy noise reduction.

But k20d is definitely having great noise improvement. No PP needed