Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cicadas take over Virginia!
Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Virginia 
Posted By: loco, 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Well, I gotta admit, I'm kind of enjoying the emergence of Brood II. When something only happens every 17 years, I think it's best to just roll with it.

They are everywhere. The poor crabapple tree is covered with adults and shells. Thousands of shells everywhere. The adults fly around as you walk through the yard, sometimes landing on you. So far, not a whole lot of noise, but I know that's coming. I am surrounded by forest, so I imagine it's going to be like a rock concert around here.

Here are three shots I like. The first two taken with the FA 31 and the last with the Panagor 90 macro lens. Thanks so much for looking and I hope you like them!

FA 31 Limited

Panagor 90 macro lens

Views: 879
05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think they're super, Lori. And you're absolutely right - you've gotta go with the flow and don't let it . . . . . . . bug you.

Jer
05-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Well, I gotta admit, I'm kind of enjoying the emergence of Brood II. When something only happens every 17 years, I think it's best to just roll with it.

They are everywhere. The poor crabapple tree is covered with adults and shells. Thousands of shells everywhere. The adults fly around as you walk through the yard, sometimes landing on you. So far, not a whole lot of noise, but I know that's coming. I am surrounded by forest, so I imagine it's going to be like a rock concert around here.

Here are three shots I like. The first two taken with the FA 31 and the last with the Panagor 90 macro lens. Thanks so much for looking and I hope you like them!

FA 31 Limited

Panagor 90 macro lens

Nice macros.
I remember the last time, they were pretty darn loud. So far only seen couple skeletons and one or two flying around.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-21-2013 at 03:17 AM.
05-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well thank you for posting these photos Lori, we have been back South several times and could always hear these guys singing in the trees, but you know we never saw what we were listening to. It is amazing to hear them, almost scary until you realize what it is you are hearing. Very nice captures as always from you. Bob

05-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think they're super, Lori. And you're absolutely right - you've gotta go with the flow and don't let it . . . . . . . bug you.

Jer
Thanks Jer! Yep, a little less stressful that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nice macros.
I remember the last time, they were pretty darn loud. So far only seen couple skeletons and one or two flying around.
Thanks!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Well thank you for posting these photos Lori, we have been back South several times and could always hear these guys singing in the trees, but you know we never saw what we were listening to. It is amazing to hear them, almost scary until you realize what it is you are hearing. Very nice captures as always from you. Bob
Thank you, Bob! Glad you like them!
05-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Lori. Love the last one. He is staring straight at you. For some reason we aren't going to get the horde this far south although they do show up in dribs and drabs. I can't imagine the noise those great numbers will be making.
05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series Lori. Love the last one. He is staring straight at you. For some reason we aren't going to get the horde this far south although they do show up in dribs and drabs. I can't imagine the noise those great numbers will be making.
Thank you, Susan! I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.

05-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Oooh, I love these things! They'll always remind me of summer growing up in Georgia. I remember when one of them somehow wound up inside one of the classrooms at college. It was pretty loud.

They're fun to pick up and play with, but if you leave them alone for too long, they'll start poking you with their proboscis. I guess they're looking for plant juices.
05-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Oooh, I love these things! They'll always remind me of summer growing up in Georgia. I remember when one of them somehow wound up inside one of the classrooms at college. It was pretty loud.

They're fun to pick up and play with, but if you leave them alone for too long, they'll start poking you with their proboscis. I guess they're looking for plant juices.
LOL, I think they're kind of fun, too. Thanks for taking a look, scratchpaddy!
05-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Excellent shots - so nice and detailed.

I think it's been 10 years or so since our last invasion. Our local Chorus Frogs were so loud this morning I thought it might have been time for the Cicadas again. Truly amazing to hear all the mountains "sing" around our house when it happens. .
05-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Excellent shots - so nice and detailed.

I think it's been 10 years or so since our last invasion. Our local Chorus Frogs were so loud this morning I thought it might have been time for the Cicadas again. Truly amazing to hear all the mountains "sing" around our house when it happens. .
Thanks Stan!

The noise has started up. Could hear them loud and clear this morning. It is such a distinctive song. Almost has an electronic feel to it.