Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Some Illustrations - or - Fun with CS3
Posted By: Rickster, 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Did a little 'doodling' with CS3 this morning ...

Here is what I started with, an old Buick Eight taken last year with my K10D in very stark sunlight - I think it's a 1952 Buick Eight Roadmaster ...

and here is the result of about 30 minutes of 'doodling'

I like the result. Looks like an illustration from the 50's

Anybody else have some 'illustrations' to share here?

Last edited by Rickster; 03-11-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Views: 5,343
03-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Wow, 103 downloads of the action I posted above and not one comment. Was it that bad?
I tried your action, but I'm not happy with it. I think it's better to your own way, like my version above.

03-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #32

PS Action

Thanks for the action. It's a big help for learning to do this.. I understand it to be a learning tool, not a tool to give a final result. Each photo needs it's own tinkering!

03-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Wow, 103 downloads of the action I posted above and not one comment. Was it that bad?
I used your action on your original post, after magnifying by 400% to retrieve sort of the original image Applying your action exactly gives the result shown in the attachment.

It isn't as good as your original post. Too blury. I tried it with a larger size to start with and only one step of denoising. Still not as good.

Your action tells the technique you have applied but it will be a lot of work to find out all the parameters which give this astounding result you got. And of course it helps a lot to start with such a great image as you did

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:27 AM.
03-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I used your action on your original post, after magnifying by 400% to retrieve sort of the original image Applying your action exactly gives the result shown in the attachment.

It isn't as good as your original post. Too blury. I tried it with a larger size to start with and only one step of denoising. Still not as good.

Your action tells the technique you have applied but it will be a lot of work to find out all the parameters which give this astounding result you got. And of course it helps a lot to start with such a great image as you did
Your right, I forgot that the default parameters on my system will not be your defaults ...

I think I may have a better approach ... stay tuned.

03-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just downloaded and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll definitely stay tuned.
03-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez - that looks so... "Norman Rockwell"!!

Amazing work, and in only a half hour. I am way impressed!

Thanks for sharing

Al S.
03-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK folks, this is going to save us a LOT of time. After some cruising around the net I found that Dave Seeram's Illustration action is available here for free. Dave's action is very close to what I have been doing manually. Enjoy and lets see some samples!

Here is a sample converted with Dave's action.

03-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Yes, it pays to have a decent photo to start with! See the link above to Dave's action. It's pretty good and you can modify it to your heart's content.

03-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SicKb0y Quote
I tried your action, but I'm not happy with it. I think it's better to your own way, like my version above.
As I said, "I've created an annotated action that will step you through the basic operations I use for these images. It is not my intention that this PS Action is the 'end-all do-all' for this technique. Far from it. It is just an easy way to show you all how you can approach the process. Please use your own creativity to mold the process to your own vision."

See Dave's action above. I think you will like it.
03-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #40

As I said, "I've created an annotated action that will step you through the basic operations I use for these images. It is not my intention that this PS Action is the 'end-all do-all' for this technique. Far from it. It is just an easy way to show you all how you can approach the process. Please use your own creativity to mold the process to your own vision."

See Dave's action above. I think you will like it.
My version was created before you uploaded your action, I tried it afterwards.
03-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #41
Veteran Member

this is garbage!!

just kidding

this is simply brilliant! very good photoshop doodling.