Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Some Landscapes and a Portrait
Posted By: slowpez, 05-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Working on some old images. They may be over the top. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-31-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Views: 1,198
05-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Hi Susan... this pp stuff can be addicting but oh so fun I absolutely Love what you did with the portrait, but I would work on the highlight circle on the monkey's face... not too much, just enough to bring in a bit more detail so it blends better. I also really like this version of the covered bridge, even more than the first --- the sense of place is palpable now. I like the second version of the river scene, but still find the greens too vibrant. I think the green tones should be darker and richer, and I don't know if you can, but I would try to bring out some of the detail on the foreground rocks. I really enjoyed this series and look forward to seeing more of your work... thanks for sharing
Thanks so much Tess. I had to go back and look at the original photo of the monkey to see how much highlight was on his face originally (I seemed to remember him looking toward the sun and his face being heavily highlighted) but you are right, I put in too much artificial highlight. I'll go back in and try to bring it back to a more natural state. That darn river scene was not a good shot so I thought it would be fun to use as a subject for learning some PP and now it is going to haunt me forever. I will have another go at that one too. You are right about the PP stuff being addictive. Is there a cure do you think?

05-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The colour scene of the river is quite a bit better. The foreground rocks look much more natural.
05-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like them. Like the improvement of the first shot but really like the B&W.
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sirens howling and wailing, HDR alert on the first one.

Toned down version is better but still very loud in the trees.

Do like the monkey portrait, just working out who it reminds me of the most, as I know quite a few folk that are pretty close to being monkeys.

05-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The colour scene of the river is quite a bit better. The foreground rocks look much more natural.
Thank you kindly.

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I like them. Like the improvement of the first shot but really like the B&W.
Thanks so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Sirens howling and wailing, HDR alert on the first one.
Toned down version is better but still very loud in the trees.
Do like the monkey portrait, just working out who it reminds me of the most, as I know quite a few folk that are pretty close to being monkeys.
I did manage to tone the trees down a bit in my third version but couldn't do anything with the monkey. He will just have to keep his shiny face.
05-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice , very nice !
05-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Bridge is indeed a wonderful photo - so much detail and mood!
Monkey face very appealing, and nicely done.
HDR does look better in 2nd attempt, but still something not right - the rocks seem too soft and the trees too vivid. I have played with HDR on scenes like this, but usually don't like the results very much. Have had best results using a free software called FDR basics...
05-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Nice , very nice !
Thanks so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Bridge is indeed a wonderful photo - so much detail and mood!
Monkey face very appealing, and nicely done.
HDR does look better in 2nd attempt, but still something not right - the rocks seem too soft and the trees too vivid. I have played with HDR on scenes like this, but usually don't like the results very much. Have had best results using a free software called FDR basics...
Thanks mole. I have redone the river scene once again and it is better than the two I posted here but it still lacks something or has too much something. This PP stuff is harder than taking the photograph. Gigantic learning curve. Hopefully if I ever actually shoot a scene with the intent of converting it to HDR it will be a little easier.