Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tonight's hockey game
Posted By: SouthShoreRob, 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Great game, once again, down at the old Barn. The Spits out-hit and out-worked the visiting Whalers to move within a couple points of the division lead with just three games to go. Here's a sampling of the action...the rest can be seen via my website. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 02-09-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Views: 1,914
03-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ice hockey is hard to shoot ... getting WB right is even more difficult ... and lighting can be hell as well.

I haven't tried it yet .. and after hearing what it is like ... I don't think I'd want to either.

Good effort in trying to capture such a fast paced action.
03-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
SouthShoreRob

Thanks for the comments.
03-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they are great shots. The action is well frozen (pardon the pun) and very sharp. I think a little WB adjusting in PP would make any of these winners.

03-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I think they are great shots. The action is well frozen (pardon the pun) and very sharp. I think a little WB adjusting in PP would make any of these winners.
Thanks for the comments. I shot these in the *ist DS's "white light fluorescent light" setting and then in, post processing, used "auto colour correction" to produce the final image. At other times, I have used auto levels and / or auto smart fix - all with similar white balance issues.

Rob
03-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
N"ice" action shots Rob great series.
03-13-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the 2nd and 3rd shots better.

There seems to be impact and a lot of action can be felt by viewing the images.

The WB issue is more pronounced in k10d which is considerably a lesser problem in k20d.

03-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by MaKettle Quote
Hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread Rob, but your pics are good examples of a problem I recently had. I'm curious about a WB fix as I had similar results this past weekend shooting in a middle school gym. I tried manualy setting the WB before taking any shots, but found that it would change based on not only where I was sitting, but where I was pointing the camera. I decided to leave it alone, shoot in raw mode and PP later. Using Photo Shop to WB the raw files I came across a few that look similar to Robs first image, there is a definite red shadow along the left edge. Some of mine were even worse, red haze across 1/3 to 1/2 of image, always vertical. I could not adjust WB such that the entire image looked OK, as I fixed one side, the other would turn ugly . Is there something I did wrong in my set up? How can I prevent this next time, how would you fix this (robs first shot) with Photo Shop.
BTW, my favorite shot is the second one, for a game that happens so fast, that is a great shot.
Nah, no worries at all. All comments/perspectives welcome.

For what it's worth, I spoke with a local pro shooter (Canon) who has done more than his fair share of hockey action over the years. He said, if it's any consolation, this is a problem for him as well; and that in general, a problem across the digital playing field:

"As far as my images being adjusted before printing is concerned, I do not have a batch nor do I have any immunity to the white balance situation with my gear. I must adjust each image individually before final print and if it is any consolation, your examples attached contain similar issues that the rest of us in the digital world of action photography are experiencing. The "rainbow effect" as I like to call it, is not avoidable as far as I know and believe it or not, I get 3 entirely different hue / contrast looks in a frame burst of the same play!"

This is in response to me sending me two shots of a six shot burst I took on Tuesday. In the first pic, there's a lot of red coming out of the ice reflection. But, in the second, it's nearly pure white - a more genuine representation. See the same two samples I sent him below...

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 02-09-2009 at 02:51 PM.
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Nah, no worries at all. All comments/perspectives welcome.
Thanks, but I just deleted my original reply and sent you a PM apologizing for stomping all over your post. So again, I offer my humble apologies.

Thanks for the WB info, does that mean that the shots with the "rainbow" are throw aways?
03-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
N"ice" action shots Rob great series.
Thanks daacon and Roentarre!

MaKettle - no I don't believe this makes them "throw-aways" however, they wouldn't be the first ones I'd rush out to print either. As everybody who's ever tried to shoot hockey knows, it isn't easy so there's a certain level of tolerance, beyond perhaps the ordinary, for such occurences. The good news is our team is getting a new rink (read new lighting yippee) just in time for Christmas 2008 so things should be much improved - well that is if I can still get in with my camera, of course.

In the meantime, I'm continuing to try new things with my Photoshop Elements to see what/if I can do anything about whiteness of the ice. Additionally, I'll continue to shoot 200+ shots per game to maximize my "useable" captures.

Rob
03-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
SouthShoreRob

white balance concerns

For what it's worth, at last night's game, I de-tuned the SATURATION by one (or two) and it seems as though I have less of the "red-ness" in the ice than before. This, however, may also be attributable to the fact that I was higher up and therefore shooting at a more downward angle.

I'll continue to investigate...