Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
a boy and his football.. (5 pics)
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM

I took these on Saturday of my son playing around with his football... I was trying to work on my timing and actually caught some good shots.. IMO.. but I did figure out his problem... as you will see in the pics.. . hehheh

#1 . enjoying the day...

Mr. tough football player.. #2 and #3

#4 and #5 ... problems with catching....

Enjoy... i sure have!!! I had my camera set to ISO 1600 to see what it did.. as well as my White balance set to daytime shaded.
Views: 3,687
03-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ahhh I see, your son has a case of eyeclosetightus. Very common for young althetes. Luckily the cure is simple (time and practice). I think the goalie on my sons lacrosse team suffers the same fate (it may be a long... or very short season - ha ha).
What a great tool to record exactly what happens during an activity. I think the white balance setting you selected was dead on the money.
03-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Your son is adorable!

The first shot might look even better with B+W conversion.

The 2nd last shot is my favorite. Quite an impact!
03-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots fantastic to see kids can still have fun with a ball outside and not on a screen.

Looking forward to footy season starting here soon.

03-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots, and I love how the background is blurred just enough to really make your son stand out!

Pat
03-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Ahhh I see, your son has a case of eyeclosetightus. Very common for young althetes. Luckily the cure is simple (time and practice). I think the white balance setting you selected was dead on the money.
Practice makes perfect right!! Hopefully this summer I can help cure some of his eyeclosetightus...

This was the one of the first times I really played with the white balance. I plan on fidgeting with in more this weekend...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Your son is adorable! The first shot might look even better with B+W conversion. The 2nd last shot is my favorite. Quite an impact!
Thank you roentarre... I tried the conversion but personally didn't like it .. but the B&W thing is still pretty foreign to me.. Feel free to try it if you like!! In the one I tried this morning the redness of his cheeks didn't convert well... and made his face look funny...

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Nice shots fantastic to see kids can still have fun with a ball outside and not on a screen.
Falcons, I agree it is good to see kids outside and playing... Working at a school it is amazing how many do not want to go outside period.. But... my son has Spring Fever bad.. He would sleep outside right now if I would let him.. (alittle chilly at night quite yet... )

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Great shots, and I love how the background is blurred just enough to really make your son stand out! Pat
Thanks Pat!!!! I have to give that bokah credit to my 50-200 lens.. It does a great job!!

Glad you enjoyed them.. Thanks again.. Kim
03-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shots Kim - Treasured memories for sure - the fullback skills look good - needs to work on the wide receiver stuff

03-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
SouthShoreRob

Cute kid, thanks for sharing!
03-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Absolutely wonderful images Kim. You will treasure these forever. Thank you for sharing!
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. Kim these are great and well worth all dollars spent and every moment practicing. Wonderful stuff and lifetime memory's for sure.

"eyeclosetightus" ROTFLMAO
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This might work but you're right, those red rosy cheeks look a bit blotchy in a B&W.

De saturate, curves,contrast
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Zack; 03-12-2008 at 01:31 PM.
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

How's this Kim. I just used the red channel for the conversion.

03-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the try!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This might work but you're right, those red rosy cheeks look a bit blotchy in a B&W. De saturate, curves,contrast
Thanks for Trying Peter... Those cheeks of his automatically turn rosy red when he starts running around... but in the black and white it almost makes him look like he has a disease or something.. poor little guy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I just used the red channel for the conversion.
Thanks Rick for tryin.. This turned out well!! Please forgive my ignorance.. what do you mean by "used the red channel for the conversion" ?
03-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Kim, I did basically (I think) what Rick did. When I said de-saturate, I meant go to the "colour" button under "Effects" . Then "extract channel" there is a drop down menu there for removing the red. green. blue, cyan, magenta etc etc. I removed the red and then adjusted the contrast and curve a little. This is a plugin you may need to add in PN. I can't see much difference from the 2 B&W's
03-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Very nice action shots Kim,
And your young man looks like he's having fun out there

My personal favorites are #2, and of course #4.