Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tell me what you think (I need CR)
Posted By: Photo Tramp, 09-22-2006, 08:24 PM

I need to know what you all think of this PP. I ran it thru Corel Painter Essentials (3). I would like to know if for a very first try, and only working with the program for 1/2 hr, Am I getting close to doing this photo justice as a painting?

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 09-30-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Views: 2,648
09-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are getting close, but there are too many disturbing "elements" in the frame, in particular the one next to her forehead. If you could simplify the frame somehow?
09-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Do you need someone to take her out while you fix the frame?
09-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tell me what you think

Thanks Ole, But sad to say the background I could not overcome in the origional PP in Photoshopcs2 Yet. I just started to play with masks and I haven't gotten that far. I agree with the background needing to be stripped out, and I might replace it with a complete black background when I get that far in the book. Other than that what do you think.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

09-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tell me what you think

QuoteOriginally posted by shades Quote
Do you need someone to take her out while you fix the frame?
If I knew who she was I would ask her for you. she was in town about 3 weeks ago for the Confedrate Air show. I just snapped the picture because of the exact same reason you want to keep her occupied. (LOL):=))) One very nice young lady. She did have a Brit accent.

Good Shooting.
09-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Thanks Ole, But sad to say the background I could not overcome in the origional PP in Photoshopcs2 Yet. I just started to play with masks and I haven't gotten that far. I agree with the background needing to be stripped out, and I might replace it with a complete black background when I get that far in the book. Other than that what do you think.

Good Shooting.
You could try the clone tool.
That allows you to clone some of the black background onto areas you want to make disappear.
09-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As a painting I think the skin is a bit too smooth. The clothing has plemty of folds in it to keep it looking "non-flat", but the skin is a bit smooth as it doesn't have the different shades. IMHO.
09-23-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tell me what you think.

Ok how about this one .

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 09-30-2006 at 04:41 AM.
09-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Both look pretty good!

Hi David!

I think the first photo was a great. It looked like one of those vintage photos from the late 30s or 40s. The background is a bit distracting, but the actual portrait is very nice!

The butterfly/flower one is lovely. I really like the treatment you gave to it. That DOES look like a painting.
09-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tell me what you think.

Thanks Tracy,
I have 29 days left to evaluate the program, and I can tell you right now, I will be buying this program with out question. It is one fantastic program. It's so easy to use and the totuorials really give you so much information and get you started in min. I like the effects I can give to a photo and know in some cases that I can correct the screwups I made when I shot the picture origionaly. If you want to try it out, it's a free download from Corel called Painter essentials (3) their price to buy is very reasonable for what this program does. But to try it for 30 days free I think it will give you a whole new perspective on photography. Just think of being able to give a new bride the origional photo of her and the groom together, and then giving her an Artist Oil painting of that special day and Photo in a large print on some very good Matte paper. This is a WOW in my book.

Good Shooting.
09-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
If you want to try it out, it's a free download from Corel called Painter essentials (3) their price to buy is very reasonable for what this program does. But to try it for 30 days free I think it will give you a whole new perspective on photography. Just think of being able to give a new bride the origional photo of her and the groom together, and then giving her an Artist Oil painting of that special day and Photo in a large print on some very good Matte paper. This is a WOW in my book.
You're Welcome!

My daughter got a Wacom tablet/pen set for her birthday because she likes to animate with a program called "Cosmic Blobs." The tablet makes it more like she's drawing on the screen without us having to spend $2K to get a touch screen system. The tablet came with a discount for Corel Painter Essentials. I hadn't looked into it because I have Photoshop Elements and thought it was about the same. But with what you've shown, it looks like it will do a bit more. Does it work with 16-bit images?
09-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #12

I like it

This is my first post on this forum, so Hi everyone.

I like what you are doing with this picture of a very pretty girl who looks great in this reenactment costume.

I agree the background needs some work but no doubt you were limited with what you could do at the time. It looks like you will be keeping your editing program so maybe you can work on the background some more with the program but it doesn't take away from it being a lovely photo. The girl is nicely posed and the lighting is great. It reminds a bit of those B&W photos they used to hand colour. I'd like to see you do something like that if you are inclined.
09-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
tell me what you think.

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
You're Welcome!

My daughter got a Wacom tablet/pen set for her birthday because she likes to animate with a program called "Cosmic Blobs." The tablet makes it more like she's drawing on the screen without us having to spend $2K to get a touch screen system. The tablet came with a discount for Corel Painter Essentials. I hadn't looked into it because I have Photoshop Elements and thought it was about the same. But with what you've shown, it looks like it will do a bit more. Does it work with 16-bit images?
To tell you the truth Tracy, I really have only tried it in High JPEG. I tried to Load a Tiff file and got a message saying the number count was too large. I'll look into it more Tomarrow and let you know. But either way for $69 you can't go wrong.

Good Shooting.

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 09-23-2006 at 07:26 PM.
09-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tell me what you think.

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryK100D Quote
This is my first post on this forum, so Hi everyone.

I like what you are doing with this picture of a very pretty girl who looks great in this reenactment costume.

I agree the background needs some work but no doubt you were limited with what you could do at the time. It looks like you will be keeping your editing program so maybe you can work on the background some more with the program but it doesn't take away from it being a lovely photo. The girl is nicely posed and the lighting is great. It reminds a bit of those B&W photos they used to hand colour. I'd like to see you do something like that if you are inclined.
Thanks for the kind words Barry. I will be trying all kinds of things with this new program and see how it works with in the next 29 days. I'll give your ideas a go and see what happenes, and post the results as I get to know the program.

Good Shooting.
09-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

David, if you have a chance try Linux. There's a free photo editing program called Gimp in it, that some people say is very simular to photoshop

You can get it for windows as well, I just couldn't get it working properly
http://www.gimp.org/

I really like both the pic's, and I did think that the first one was OLD from the looks of it.