Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Swedish Riot
Lens: SMC M55 f1,8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Parkinglot 
Posted By: Johan Holmgren, 05-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Greetings all!
I spent yesterday evening at my neighbours BBQ. I had some steak, a few beer and some shots. A great evening. Went to bed and all was well until about one o'clock in the morning. I was waken by frantic knocking on my front door and someone yelling.

Apparently some punk a** kids (pardon my language, but I think it is deserved), inspired by the civil unrest in the big cities around Sweden decided to torch a car here. In my calm suburb. On my parkinglot. To the car parked next to mine.

I grabbed my camera and rushed out. The manual lens happened to be mounted. So I did some SUI (shoot under influence) and SUS (shoot under sleepiness) and SAN (Shoot at night). Pictures came out as deserved, but since it's an unusual event i thought i'd share them anyways. The firebrigade had allmost put the fire out already when I arrived at the sceen.

Yes, that green car is MINE!

My car suffered quite extensive heat damage to the left front. The tire had not exploded, but it's burnt to a crisp on the rubber surface. Can't drive it no more. The car is not worth the cost of fixing, so i guess i'll be looking for a new one next week.

The other car didn't do so well.

Thanks to some youths that saw the fire early on, the damages could be contained in time. Otherwise my car and probably more would have gone up in flames.
My thanks goes out to the firefighters who risk their lives for us!

Regards / Johan
Views: 880
05-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's quite the tale... buts what's this about Swedish youth rioting? Next they'll be getting in fights and body checking while playing hockey... what is this world coming too?
05-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ouch! I don't know what goes through some people's heads. Do they really think setting a random car on fire can accomplish anything?

It's never fun to bear the burden of someone else's stupidity. I feel for you. I was in the same situation two months ago, when a "punk a** kid" got drunk and decided to try drifting around my apartment's parking lot in his expensive sports car. Of course, his impaired reflexes weren't up to the task, and he wound up plowing straight into my car. I posted a picture here, too, if you're interested.

All the paperwork and dealing with the police, the courts, and the insurance wasn't fun, but I did get the opportunity to get a new car that I really enjoy. I hope you like cars, because looking for one to buy is a lot of fun if you do. If not, it's just another chore.

Best of luck to you in the hassles to come. Use the opportunity to get a car you love to drive.
05-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yeah, I read about those riots. Was quite surprised they were happening in Sweden, of all places. Hope you won't have any problems. Maybe you should put a sign on your yard "I support the riots, just don't burn my car"
Btw, I really like that when in the middle of the night someone knocks on your door and tells you about a fire, your first thought is "better bring my camera" - you are a true photographer

05-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry about the car. Glad you are ok.
05-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the support!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
... but what's this about Swedish youth rioting?
It's kinda like herpes, spreading because of stupidity!

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Ouch! I feel for you. I was in the same situation two months ago...
Ouch back, your car looked worse than mine. Nice to hear that you got a new car you really like, good luck with it.
I am looking forward to getting a new car. I guess it will be some second hand new-ish family style before engine though.
I have been forced to fix up my bike, and it felt very good riding it to work today. It is about 5 km flat country flanked by forrest, and summer is starting. Without this incident I'm pretty sure the bike would have been standing all summer. I was getting more and more lazy, lacking exercise. So in a way they did me a favour forcing me to bike, and I think I will continue using it to work now, even if I get another car.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
"I support the riots, just don't burn my car"
"or the car next to mine"

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Sorry about the car. Glad you are ok.
Thank you!
05-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry about your car.

Night shots came out pretty well, good work, considering the circumstances. I was talking with a friend yesterday who is a professional photographer and was asking geeky questions, he said the old adage is "f8 and be there." You were there and composed enough to capture the event.