Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Violins
Camera: Nikon d300 Photo Location: my shop 
Posted By: stradibarrius, 05-27-2013, 05:56 AM

I am new here and thought I would show you how I make my living. I started into serious photography when I realized that it was going to be to expensive to pay someone to take photos of my violins for my website. I didn't want my pictures to look like snapshots so I have tried to teach myself photography. Most of the shots are digital because it seems to work better than tungsten film but a lot of the B&W violin shots are film.
I hope you like what you see.

Attached Images

Views: 697
05-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are wonderful - I especially like the B&W. There's something seductive in the shape of a violin and you've nailed it here. Do you build violins?

Jer
05-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Your work, both violins and photographs, are outstanding. While I don't play, these would tempt me to learn! I'd like to own one just to say I do!
05-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Nicely shot.

Also, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, 5 string! Haven't played won but would love to do so. And that spalted back is gorgeous! I'm glad there's makers doing great things with strings. Thanks for sharing.

05-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

Are they still mostly spruce on maple?
05-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

Beautiful, I've never seen a violin made out of spalted wood before. Do you stabilize it with anything? What species of maple is the back of the first violin?
05-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very sensuous looking. I want to hold one in my hands. The B&W shot is my favorite.

05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
The traditional wood used to make violins is maple for the back, sides and neck with spruce for the top. I started as a classical guitar maker. Guitars are made of rosewood, mahogany walnut and many other wonderful tone woods. When I started making violins I wondered why no one used anything other than maple to make violin???? Tradition is the answer. I make aboout 90% of my violins from some tone wood other than maple. The black and white striped violin with the black neck is made from ebony, not a splated wood. The black and white is S.E. Asia ebony and the neck is Gaboon ebony.
Each type of wood has it's own unique tonal characteristics. Not better than maple just different. Chocolate ice cream is different from vanilla or strawberry. Not better just different.
Since I cater to mostly jazz, celtic, bluegrass and country players I make 5 string violins opposed to the traditional 4 string. For players who improve or have singers in their group the fifth string is a God send.

Thanks for your kind words I'm glad you like what you see.
05-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm glad you managed to post your craftsmanship here, well done, both the instruments and photography look pretty stunning to me.
05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

I should have recognized the Macassar ebony, I once milled around 5000bf of it for a furniture company in New Jersey. Absolutely stunning craftsmanship, the photos are nice too.