Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Colaptes Auratus
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta 
Posted By: daacon, 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Went for a wetlands walkabout yesterday morning. There is a small section that leads back into suburbia then the trail cuts back into the forest and Wetlands area. I was suprised to see these guys foraging for food and perhaps doing a little 'mating rituals' along the curb on a relatively busy street.

Notice the title eh ? I am getting much better at classifications. I find the secret is to post the pic on Facebook first and ask my friends what the hell kinda bird is this More commonly known as the Northern Flicker - a member of the woodpecker family (now this I got from Google - gawd I'm good ! )

click on image twice for larger view



In fainess I did not miss this shot as much as the little bugger flew right into it (that's my story and I sticking to it)



Views: 625
05-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
Those are some really good flicker shots Dave. Don't believe I have ever seen the colors in their tail feathers before.
05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Wow - super catch, buddy - they look like 3-D. Great job.

I'm surprised at the classification - I would have sworn these were Spottibellium Redheadicus.

Jer
05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,471
I do think Jer is right about the correct name Dave, haven't seen this bird in our parts, sure have a lot of color and design to them, nice shots of what I call a "bird".

05-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Those are some really good flicker shots Dave. Don't believe I have ever seen the colors in their tail feathers before.
Thanks Susan I have seen them here before but never got such a good shot, they sure are colorful.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - super catch, buddy - they look like 3-D. Great job.
I'm surprised at the classification - I would have sworn these were Spottibellium Redheadicus.
Jer
Thanks Buddy now that's a Wile E. (coyote) description ifius Ius everysawus

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I do think Jer is right about the correct name Dave, haven't seen this bird in our parts, sure have a lot of color and design to them, nice shots of what I call a "bird".
I started out as a bird , them some sort of woodpecker .... but yeah unless I see them a hundred times they are 'winged creatures'
05-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,763
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - super catch, buddy - they look like 3-D. Great job.

I'm surprised at the classification - I would have sworn these were Spottibellium Redheadicus.

Jer
As say I that is Nasty Sharp TFS

cheers
05-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
leptim's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fountain, CO
Photos: Albums
Posts: 580
Great Shots Dave. They put on a show for you.
05-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Jimbo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maple Ridge BC Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,363
We have a lot of flickers here Dave but have not seen the color of the bottom of the tail feathers before. Cheers JIM

05-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member
tessfully's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S. Algonquin, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,855
I bow down to your Ornithologist skills. Etymologically, the word "ornithology" derives from the ancient Greek ὄρνις ornis ("bird") and λόγος logos ("rationale" or "explanation"). Several aspects of ornithology differ from related disciplines, due partly to the high visibility and the aesthetic appeal of birds. Most marked among these is the extent of studies undertaken by amateurs working within the parameters of strict scientific methodology.

Wonderful images of a pretty polka dotted bird with a red head. TFS!
06-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
As say I that is Nasty Sharp TFS
cheers
Thanks for commenting Ivan

QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
Great Shots Dave. They put on a show for you.
Thanks Tim they did indeed - it's was cool to see on the side of road had it been deep in the wetlands I likley would had missed it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
We have a lot of flickers here Dave but have not seen the color of the bottom of the tail feathers before. Cheers JIM
Me neither until just then Jim

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I bow down to your Ornithologist skills. Etymologically, the word "ornithology" derives from the ancient Greek ὄρνις ornis ("bird") and λόγος logos ("rationale" or "explanation"). Several aspects of ornithology differ from related disciplines, due partly to the high visibility and the aesthetic appeal of birds. Most marked among these is the extent of studies undertaken by amateurs working within the parameters of strict scientific methodology.

Wonderful images of a pretty polka dotted bird with a red head. TFS!
Thanks Tess without the help of some knowledgeable friends all my recent titles would be 'bird'
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, wetlands
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top