Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Colaptes Auratus
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta 
Posted By: daacon, 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Went for a wetlands walkabout yesterday morning. There is a small section that leads back into suburbia then the trail cuts back into the forest and Wetlands area. I was suprised to see these guys foraging for food and perhaps doing a little 'mating rituals' along the curb on a relatively busy street.

Notice the title eh ? I am getting much better at classifications. I find the secret is to post the pic on Facebook first and ask my friends what the hell kinda bird is this More commonly known as the Northern Flicker - a member of the woodpecker family (now this I got from Google - gawd I'm good ! )

click on image twice for larger view

In fainess I did not miss this shot as much as the little bugger flew right into it (that's my story and I sticking to it)

Views: 625
05-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those are some really good flicker shots Dave. Don't believe I have ever seen the colors in their tail feathers before.
05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow - super catch, buddy - they look like 3-D. Great job.

I'm surprised at the classification - I would have sworn these were Spottibellium Redheadicus.

Jer
05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do think Jer is right about the correct name Dave, haven't seen this bird in our parts, sure have a lot of color and design to them, nice shots of what I call a "bird".

05-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Those are some really good flicker shots Dave. Don't believe I have ever seen the colors in their tail feathers before.
Thanks Susan I have seen them here before but never got such a good shot, they sure are colorful.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'm surprised at the classification - I would have sworn these were Spottibellium Redheadicus.
Jer
Thanks Buddy now that's a Wile E. (coyote) description ifius Ius everysawus

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I do think Jer is right about the correct name Dave, haven't seen this bird in our parts, sure have a lot of color and design to them, nice shots of what I call a "bird".
I started out as a bird , them some sort of woodpecker .... but yeah unless I see them a hundred times they are 'winged creatures'
05-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer
As say I that is Nasty Sharp TFS

cheers
05-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great Shots Dave. They put on a show for you.
05-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

We have a lot of flickers here Dave but have not seen the color of the bottom of the tail feathers before. Cheers JIM

05-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bow down to your Ornithologist skills. Etymologically, the word "ornithology" derives from the ancient Greek ὄρνις ornis ("bird") and λόγος logos ("rationale" or "explanation"). Several aspects of ornithology differ from related disciplines, due partly to the high visibility and the aesthetic appeal of birds. Most marked among these is the extent of studies undertaken by amateurs working within the parameters of strict scientific methodology.

Wonderful images of a pretty polka dotted bird with a red head. TFS!
06-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
As say I that is Nasty Sharp TFS
cheers
Thanks for commenting Ivan

QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
Great Shots Dave. They put on a show for you.
Thanks Tim they did indeed - it's was cool to see on the side of road had it been deep in the wetlands I likley would had missed it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
We have a lot of flickers here Dave but have not seen the color of the bottom of the tail feathers before. Cheers JIM
Me neither until just then Jim

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I bow down to your Ornithologist skills. Etymologically, the word "ornithology" derives from the ancient Greek ὄρνις ornis ("bird") and λόγος logos ("rationale" or "explanation"). Several aspects of ornithology differ from related disciplines, due partly to the high visibility and the aesthetic appeal of birds. Most marked among these is the extent of studies undertaken by amateurs working within the parameters of strict scientific methodology.

Wonderful images of a pretty polka dotted bird with a red head. TFS!
Thanks Tess without the help of some knowledgeable friends all my recent titles would be 'bird'