Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
School sports
Lens: DA55-300 and FA28-80 Camera: K-30 and K-x Photo Location: South Africa ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: altopiet, 05-31-2013, 01:50 AM

I've been busy shooting some local High School sports the past few weekends, using the DA55-300 on my K-30 and FA28-80 on my K-x. About 3500 shots of various games from 10am till about 3pm, quite tiring...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by altopiet; 05-31-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Views: 999
05-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great clarity on these action shots Christo
05-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That third one is very good. You've caught some nice action there.
05-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bob, Remco...it's nice to give the kids some nice pics of them in action, only one other parent doing it and she can't get to all the games, so I'm trying to help out when I can slip away from work

06-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I manage the website at a high school and the most popular section is the photo gallery. I shoot various sports, plays, concerts, and poetry much any event involving students. I see students at school going back through galleries from previous years as well. I was shooting an awards night a couple of weeks ago and at the end the emcee told the group that they wanted to publicly thank me for all the work throughout the year and the audience have me a standing ovation. It was great (as was the gift card they gave me.)
06-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
I manage the website at a high school and the most popular section is the photo gallery. I shoot various sports, plays, concerts, and poetry much any event involving students. I see students at school going back through galleries from previous years as well. I was shooting an awards night a couple of weeks ago and at the end the emcee told the group that they wanted to publicly thank me for all the work throughout the year and the audience have me a standing ovation. It was great (as was the gift card they gave me.)
Good for you, that is what I'm also trying to do. I only started a few weeks ago, but already got some positive feedback from parents and kids, and small things like that, makes life worthwhile
06-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Good for you, that is what I'm also trying to do. I only started a few weeks ago, but already got some positive feedback from parents and kids, and small things like that, makes life worthwhile
Hope it goes well for you. I have fun with it and have done it for 6 years now. I usually put up about 120 galleries a year. There have been times when I think I've created a monster since some folks complain if I don't shoot a particular event. I have to remind them that I don't get paid extra for it, I do it because I enjoy it. Over all, though, the parents and students are very appreciative.

06-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
Hope it goes well for you. I have fun with it and have done it for 6 years now. I usually put up about 120 galleries a year. There have been times when I think I've created a monster since some folks complain if I don't shoot a particular event. I have to remind them that I don't get paid extra for it, I do it because I enjoy it. Over all, though, the parents and students are very appreciative.
+1 Today I couldn't shoot anything, being in my own retail business, and the end of month weekend and all, but the whole time I longed to be there..
06-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
There's some fine images here, way better than the average parent could ever achieve, perhaps you need to work out a deal with them.
06-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
There's some fine images here, way better than the average parent could ever achieve, perhaps you need to work out a deal with them.
Thanks for the compliment, unfortunately a lot of the children and parents here can only afford the basics in life, and more than 50% of the population are jobless. We've got two Pro's in town, and I've never seen them at any school sport occasion....Lucky for me my normal business is doing well enough to allow me to do it for free, and at the same time allowing me to get some practice..
06-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
to allow me to do it for free
Well if that's the case more power to you and long may you continue to be able to provide such a service.