Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Momma Wolf Spider
Lens: 01 Camera:
Posted By: Brazeal, 06-01-2013, 10:09 AM

My stepson screamed and came running, and almost crying, said "Big spider!". My wife went to the door and quickly came back and said, "Yeah, BIG spider! You kill it!". Lol.
I opened the front door, and she was still sitting on the threshold waiting to come inside. I wanted to grab my K-5, but I sent it to Sigma to calibrate one of my lenses. Crap! I grabbed my Q and snapped a few photos.
At first, I didn't notice, but on closer inspection, she had baby spiders crawling all over her. Not the best photos, but cool nevertheless.

Of course, I had to cup my hands together, walk in the house and pretend to have the spider in my hands and then "throw" it on my wife. Scream!

Mike

Attached Images

Views: 1,957
06-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad ... nice shots, J
06-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Momma Wolf Spider
I'm quite happy to let the wolves keep this beasties all to themselves.
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great capture.

06-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
It's things like that that make me glad to live in England where the fiercest thing we have is an angry hedgehog. Pretty cool pics though, especially when you zoom in to see all of the babies.
06-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Outstanding I quite like spiders as they keep the mosquito population down among other things , the wife not so much and we don't get many that big at all. Very cool shot.
06-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Did you kill it? :-) cool shot - I hate bugs lol

06-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I feel for your wife and if that had been me you would have ended up with rolling pin upside your head. The babies did me in. Just think how many are living in and around your house. I won't be coming to visit anytime soon.
06-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #9

I can't decide what to think. It's a mother with babies - cute. It's a really big spider with lots of small spiders on - terrifying :-).
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Not bad ... nice shots, J
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'm quite happy to let the wolves keep this beasties all to themselves.
Lol!

QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
Great capture.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
It's things like that that make me glad to live in England where the fiercest thing we have is an angry hedgehog. Pretty cool pics though, especially when you zoom in to see all of the babies.
Yeah, seeing a big spider with babies crawling all over it was a first for me. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the babies.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Outstanding I quite like spiders as they keep the mosquito population down among other things , the wife not so much and we don't get many that big at all. Very cool shot.
Thanks. Yeah, I agree. We only have a few spider species around here that are really dangerous, and the others eat the mosquitoes and flies, so I welcome them (outside of the house).

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Did you kill it? :-) cool shot - I hate bugs lol
Lol. No, I picked it up and moved it under a bush in the yard.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I feel for your wife and if that had been me you would have ended up with rolling pin upside your head. The babies did me in. Just think how many are living in and around your house. I won't be coming to visit anytime soon.
Haha! Yeah, seeing all of the babies orbiting all around it was freaky. I hope they don't crawl under the door...

QuoteOriginally posted by Johan Holmgren Quote
I can't decide what to think. It's a mother with babies - cute. It's a really big spider with lots of small spiders on - terrifying :-).
Heh. Yeah, my exact thoughts. Part of me found it very interesting and something you rarely ever get to witness, and then I remember that it was a big damn spider with dozens of soon to be big spiders all over it!

I found this video below when doing a search on wolf spiders. Not many women would do this!

06-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd be VERY frightened if I came across one of those.
Do they bite?
Good image though, Pickles.
06-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I'd be VERY frightened if I came across one of those.
Do they bite?
Good image though, Pickles.
Heh. They are not supposed to be aggressive, but they are known to bite if provoked. They are venomous, but the bite is usually just painful.
This one was not aggressive at all and barely moved. I started to pick it up and take a picture on my hand, but then I came to my senses.