Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
War of 1812 Annual Re-enactment
Lens: Pentax DA 18-135 Camera: Pentax K5 IIs Photo Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario 
Posted By: fotogaffer, 06-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Some great shots continuing to be posted on this thread! Good job all! I got to see an annual re-enactment of the War of 1812 at Battlefield Park in Stoney Creek. This is the site of an historic battle between the Americans and the British. We got there just after a downpour and left just prior to another one. Luckily the rain held off for the battle. Amazingly, I saw 3 other Pentaxians there!! Here's a few shots.

Fire!!!

Muzzle Flash

Volley and Flash

Big Bang

Views: 1,240
06-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice ones. It's not easy getting the flash...
06-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's not easy getting the flash...
Your right, you need a little extra luck.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/post-your-photos/169256d13667...inedcannon.jpg
06-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Very good images, the guy in the fourth image will be deaf standing that close.

06-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
the guy in the fourth image will be deaf standing that close
And tinnitus for the rest of his life.

Bloody ripper shots as we say in OZ. (Both participants and photographer)

Greetings
06-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good stuff...did we win again?
06-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Some great shots continuing to be posted on this thread! Good job all! I got to see an annual re-enactment of the War of 1812 at Battlefield Park in Stoney Creek. This is the site of an historic battle between the Americans and the British. We got there just after a downpour and left just prior to another one. Luckily the rain held off for the battle. Amazingly, I saw 3 other Pentaxians there!! Here's a few shots.
Did the Americans lose again? (Despite what American history textbooks say -- they invaded and were pushed back across the border -- looks like they lost to me. Also, Washington, D.C., was sacked and burned -- including the White House. It's white today because it was initially whitewashed after the fire, then they kept painting it white.)

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 06-03-2013 at 07:18 AM.
06-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We are still here so I guess we must have won.

Kicking myself on this one. I was going to drive in from Waterloo for this event.

The weather forecast was so bad I didn't. Fortunately I have these great images for consolaition.

Tom G
06-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Did the Americans lose again?
Not once Hollywood get hold of it!
06-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice ones. It's not easy getting the flash...
Thanks SpecialK. Burst mode and just fire away hoping to catch the flash and I caught a few, but I do have tons of pics with nothing but smoke as well!

Your right, you need a little extra luck.
Thanks kerrowdown! Love your cannon shot!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/post-your-photos/169256d13667...inedcannon.jpg
Very good images, the guy in the fourth image will be deaf standing that close.
Yep, I noticed they all had earplugs, an accomodation I'm sure the original combatants didn't benefit from!

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
And tinnitus for the rest of his life.

Bloody ripper shots as we say in OZ. (Both participants and photographer)

Greetings
Thanks Schraubstock. Greetings back. Hopefully the earplugs are effective!

QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
Good stuff...did we win again?
Thanks leptim. I was trying to stay out of the politics of all this, but indeed the Americans lost this one and others to follow. Long and short of it is, that's why we have a border at the 49th parallel today!

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Did the Americans lose again? (Despite what American history textbooks say -- they invaded and were pushed back across the border -- looks like they lost to me. Also, Washington, D.C., was sacked and burned -- including the White House. It's white today because it was initially whitewashed after the fire, then they kept painting it white.)
Thanks for your comments pete-tarmigan! As I said earlier, I just wanted to put up the pics without the politics, but I share your understanding of this moment in history! Did you ever read Pierre Berton's account? I found it interesting especially regarding the native input to the war effort on both sides!

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
We are still here so I guess we must have won.

Kicking myself on this one. I was going to drive in from Waterloo for this event.

The weather forecast was so bad I didn't. Fortunately I have these great images for consolaition.

Tom G
Yes indeed the British were victorious, maintaining the border for our eventual confederation!
There is another re-enactment in Grimsby this weekend on Saturday. This is the follow up battle that occured after the Stoney Creek battle and further drove the Americans away. This also the only re-enactment that will have some small boats (20 ft rowboats) on the lake exchanging fire with infantry on the shore and then a land assault! Should be fun. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make that one in my own home town as we will be away!

Not once Hollywood get hold of it!
Let's hope not!