Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait of an Artist
Posted By: alamo5000, 06-04-2013, 11:48 PM

This is a friend of mine who is a fairly well known artist. He's a painter...

Last edited by alamo5000; 06-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Views: 489
06-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What do you guys think of the post processing job?
06-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice portrait, and I dig the black and white. The only suggestion/comment I have is his shoulders and neck look "noisy" ... everything else is very nice and suits his expression and look.
06-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a distinct pattern on his neck, is that over sharpened? or does he look like that? I'd probably soften that. He has that artist kind of dreamy look about him... nice capture.

06-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
His skin actually has that look about it. Shoulders, neck, etc... It was his skin, kinda sunburned, rough...almost as if he had gotten into a patch of ants... (which I think he did that too). I probably did over sharpen some though now that you mention it...

I noticed that in person but really didn't pay attention to it on the pic. He had been living in SE Asia for a few months about a week before this was shot His skin was normally kind of pale-ish, but he had been sunburned and tanned in the SE Asian sun...

I have been delving into the dark art of post processing. I need some eye of newt LOL! The more I learn the more I figure I need to learn....

The neat thing about this picture for me is I discovered something (at least for me) that may spell some potential for something unique later on. When I was shooting my camera settings got 'off' a little bit and I forgot my shutter speed was slow even though it was super bright outside. The picture was completely blown out. Well almost blown out.

When I did my post processing though I found a lot of the pictures had distracting kinds of backgrounds on them, or just something that made me go 'eh, ok' about them...

But then I started playing with this one and my blown out shot turned out to be one of the better ones of the bunch (I thought). I am still not stellar at post processing but I am learning

And thank you for the comments!! I love sharing and learning! You guys are great. GO CANADA!!

Last edited by alamo5000; 06-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.
06-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One thing I have been focusing on (I try to pick one thing and get that working) is eyes. When I shoot photos of people I try to capture something unique about their eyes...I probably overlook other things in doing that but for right now in my learning process I tend to make an effort to get a story with the eyes.

BTW this guy has stuff up in the Met in NYC (kind of like the Louvre only in NYC)...and I think he has some pieces going into the Smithsonian as well... I got to watch him paint for about an hour before we went on our walk...

One last tidbit... this is my second ever attempt at doing a portrait of any kind... the first one is on another thread here somewhere. I have been trying to read some about it...but hey, for a second try....

Last edited by alamo5000; 06-08-2013 at 08:39 AM.