Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Testing a recently cleaned Tair 300mm
Lens: Tair-3 300mm Camera: K-r Photo Location: Dunfermline ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Johndav, 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM

First trip out with a recently clean Tair-3 300mm f4.5 lens (the photosniper version). Thankfully there are posts on the internet showing how to open these out (and more importantly re-assemble).
The version I got on ebay was described as in unusual condition for it's age and a collectable - the use of 'unusual' was a tad misleading - it was manky.
I have cleaned the lens surfaces I could reach and reassembled the iris blades! Then popped along to the local pond and saw these wee guys - this lens will really test me, I've gotten too lazy with auto exposure and auto-focusing . This is real old school.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Views: 1,261
06-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Looks pretty good to me, are you happy with it?
06-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad for a "manky" lens.
06-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice capture. Are you shooting hand held, lens alone, or with the Photosnaiper set up?

I like playing around with my copy ... it's a lot of fun, but mine doesn't have the "stock" portion, gotta try harder to find one ... J

06-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My heart dropped when the lens arrived and I saw a fair amount of fungus (I was really thinking of returning it) but it cleaned off with no effect on the coating. I tried it out before cleaning and after. Even before cleaning it wasn't bad (the white horse was prior to cleaning).

Both the ducklings and the horse were handheld - without the rifle part (like a lot of other people I think using those parts these days is inviting trouble)

I am pretty pleased with the lens performance and given the cost (£42 including postage) it's a brilliant way to try out a longer lens on a budget. I need to get into the routine of : meter at selected aperture, latch up to wide open, focus, release back to selected aperture and fire shutter. So even with experience it will never be a lens to use in a hurry. But it will make me think about my technique again.

Jean, I have the older version with the chrome focussing knob. You seem to be getting excellent results with yours. I have read lots of positive stuff about the little Tair brother too - the 135mm f2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo