Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Satin Bowerbird
Lens: DA55-300 Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 06-09-2013, 01:33 AM

A female or a young male Satin Bowerbird in the Australian National Botanic Gardens. This is a wild bird, the gardens are not a zoo! The males only change colour at the age of five, and then they look like the guy below. Unfortunately it was sunset and the light was extremely poor, so the second photo in particular is blurred by camera shake (1/13s at full zoom). The first photo is sharper because I used the camera's own flash for a bit of fill.

Views: 581
06-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
There were lots of Crimson Rosellas in the gardens as well. This one is an immature bird changing from its baby green plumage to adult blue and red.

06-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I enjoyed seeing these photos very much !! the colours are amazing on the last photo. Thanks for sharing
06-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice shots of some very nice colour fully birds. You are lucky to have been there.

06-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I enjoyed seeing these photos very much !! the colours are amazing on the last photo. Thanks for sharing
Thanks Tess! The fill flash from the camera helped a lot in the last image - I was a lot closer to the Rosella than the Bowerbirds. Maybe one day I'll have some time to spare to try to find a bower in the gardens - if there's bowerbirds, there must be bowers!

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Nice shots of some very nice colour fully birds. You are lucky to have been there.
Thanks Trev! Wish I'd had the K5iis when I used to go to Lamington National Park regularly. I'd love to have closeups of the Satin and Regent Bowerbirds there!