Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Amish Barn Raising
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-5IIS Photo Location: Central Pennsylvania 
Posted By: stormtech, 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM

My in-laws live in an area in Central Pennsylvania called Big Valley which is a predominately Amish community. Now that I finally have some time to spend with them in the area, I got to witness a small barn raising.

The setup for the shoot was difficult for a couple reasons. First and foremost is the Amish do not like their picture taken so being respectful of this, I had to shoot from a distance that would not bother anyone. Next, because of some obstacles, I found only one position to shoot from that was a little more than 100 yards away across a field. Also I shoot hand held from inside my truck so I wouldn't bring any concern with a tripod. With all these restrictions, I did the best with what I had available. Some of the shots at the end of the sequence I got some close ups as I was leaving the area - jumped out of the truck on the road and fired off some quick shots.

I was hoping my photos would convey the massiveness of this project which is done entirely by hand from the hewing and notching the beams to the actual erection on this day. These projects take over 3 months from the start planning and preparing everything for the big day.

Not the best viewpoint for sure, plus in my image sorting I tried my best to not show any faces in respect for them. Also at the end of the sequence is a heavy/dirty crop where I am trying to show the actual size of the beams that make of the framing sections.

And an important note - this sequence of raising these main beams took 45 minutes!

Here are a few samples - the sorted set is in my Photo Gallery.

Last edited by stormtech; 06-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Views: 3,142
06-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not Amish, but a friend invited me to one once... I was one of those guys up on the rafters with my belt full of hammers and really wide chisels, trimming tenons and altering mortises. I think I was the only guy not wearing a white shirt and black pants, and wearing a baseball hat... thanks for the memories. I guess no non-Amish were invited to this one.
06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I am not Amish, but a friend invited me to one once... I was one of those guys up on the rafters with my belt full of hammers and really wide chisels, trimming tenons and altering mortises. I think I was the only guy not wearing a white shirt and black pants, and wearing a baseball hat... thanks for the memories. I guess no non-Amish were invited to this one.
This group is locally know as the "White Toppers" and is very strict. However there was one "English" there helping out out of 100 or so.
06-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kinda cool.
Sometimes I fantasize how it would be if I could "unplug" and get off the "grid".

06-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Kinda cool.
Sometimes I fantasize how it would be if I could "unplug" and get off the "grid".
Actually it goes way beyond just being off the grid.
06-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Kinda cool.
My back to the land days with my first wife cured me of that. Once the second kid in diapers came, it was time for some electricity to run the washing machine and dryer. Not having to go down the well and chop ice off the water when the temperature was -35 was kind of a treat too.
06-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My back to the land days with my first wife cured me of that. Once the second kid in diapers came, it was time for some electricity to run the washing machine and dryer. Not having to go down the well and chop ice off the water when the temperature was -35 was kind of a treat too.
I know exactly what you are saying - spent 8 years with no utilities etc on top of the mountain. I don't regret a second of it, but my condition certainly prevents living anywhere near like that now.

06-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Actually it goes way beyond just being off the grid.
Thanks to my adventurous grandfather, when i was young I lived a summer with Amish, and another with Hutterites... some great memories from both. Of course I was 6 or 7 at the time. At that age, you don't know enough about anything to understand you're in a different culture, you just get up in the morning have breakfast and go find something to do. Sure the kids wore funny clotting, but if every one else dresses funny, then you're the weirdo, aren't you? I liked them, I just never had any urge to be them.
06-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is a super series of images... they tell a very clear story on sooooo many levels. I enjoyed looking at and thinking about this set very much. thank you.
06-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just had a look at your gallery of shots. Excellent shooting...even the distance ones are wonderful as I love seeing the forested landscape in the background.
06-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Very nice shots & story - TFS - J
06-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool sequence Stan - have not witness one of these events , thanks for sharing.
06-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here in Sweden I don't think we have any Amish at all, so I've never met a Amish person myself. I've only heard about the legendary barn raising, impressive what you can do by hand and people in the more modern world have forgotten about.
The pics got me thinking about this funny scene!
06-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I've been wanting to shoot in this area for years but never had the chance when I was working 70 hours a week. Every time we would visit my in-laws, all I could think about was getting on the back roads to see the beautiful Amish farms.

I plan to do some more of this - a lot more. My father-in-law is a driver for an Amish family and says he can take me places that no other English would be able to go. There are lots of specialty shops - tinsmith, blacksmith, buggy builders, etc.

I will also need to practice my landscape shooting. This valley is defined by 2 large mountain ranges where you can drive to the top - a spectacle of a view!
06-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Here in Sweden I don't think we have any Amish at all, so I've never met a Amish person myself. I've only heard about the legendary barn raising, impressive what you can do by hand and people in the more modern world have forgotten about.
The pics got me thinking about this funny scene!
Family guy build that barn - YouTube
There are no Old Order Amish living anywhere in Europe. The last settlement merged with the Mennonite Church in 1937.

In the US there are as many as 8 different sects plus similar groups like the Old Order Mennonites, Conservative Mennonites, Hutterites, and Old German Baptist Brethren.

The Amish and Mennonite is growing rapidly here in Upstate NY simply because there is farmland to be acquired here. In a way it's good because they are preserving farmland that would otherwise have been turned into housing subdivisions. They also practice traditional farming methods which is good for birds like the Eastern Meadowlark which has been in decline for years because of newer farming methods.

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-10-2013 at 07:08 AM.