Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Exacuate!
Lens: some Sigmas Camera: K5 Photo Location: Ilford, MB 
Posted By: Pauld, 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM

My home community of Ilford / War Lake First Nation was evacuated last night due to wildfire. Everyone got out safe, however 14 people remained with the 80 firefighters that have been called in from various parts of the province. I sincerely hope we have a community to go home to, as the fire was just 1/2 km from the town this morning with new fires erupting and surrounding the community. As one of the only health care professionals in the community I had to jump into action and took charge of the evacuation and helped to co-ordinate the evacuation leading 100+ people to safety before catching the last plane out and being the last to leave. Reports from today are not looking good but they are still battling hard trying to save my community. I was able to pack a gym bag with a few pieces of clothing, my laptop, some irreplaceable keepsakes and 75% of my camera gear. I have to leave my backup K20 body and a few other things but I have my K5, my Sigmas and my tripod/gimbal head. Other than that I may have nothing to my name if things get worse. I hope and pray that something happens soon and they can start winning the battle and save my house, my job and my community and that no one gets seriously hurt. The thought of loosing everything I own is weighing pretty heavy on my mind but at least I am safe and sound far from danger and my wife was in Winnipeg during all of this and will be joing me tomorrow morning.

Views: 802
06-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The green building in the second picture in my house and place of work.
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope it all works out for you.That everyone and everything is safe
06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I hope it all works out for you.That everyone and everything is safe
So do I Patrick, so do I....

06-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #5

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Paul, I'm in the Peg and of course the WFP does a lousy job of reporting and nothing has been updated from their original 2nd hand story of this afternoon. I hope they are able to tame the fire for you and your fellow residents and you are home soon.

Stevi
06-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As if this morning it's not looking very good but I can only hope for the best.
06-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I visited my grandson near Slave Lake Alberta this last year, and they took me on a grand tour of the fire there and showed me all the new construction. They left in the same circumstances and the fire missed their place by maybe a couple hundred metres. If I learned anything it's if you get burned out, you get burned out, not much you can do about it. From what I understand if your place is the local medical centre, every effort will be made to keep it standing.

06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
As if this morning it's not looking very good but I can only hope for the best.

Sorry to hear the fire's still going. I'm sorry that all I can offer is to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Very frightening prospect, brought home be these images, hope all turns out well for you all.