Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It`s a big world...
Lens: Tamron 90mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: My garden ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: TenZ.NL, 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM

For such a small ant

Playing with shallow DoF and tiny critters is not easy but in the end I managed to nail it. Do you guys like it or is it back to the drawingboard?
Thanks for watching!

Kind regards, Jacco

It`s a big world

Crop by suggestion:

K5__5960-2

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 06-14-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Adding 2nd version
Views: 842
06-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the DoF i just right. The ant is all sharp, some of the buds are sharp, and the background is still buttery bokeh. The white flower also contrasts with the dark ant very well
06-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree. The shot works on all levels.
06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite good. If I was going to experiment, I'd try cropping a bit (maybe 5-10%) just to make the ant a little larger in the frame.

06-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks people
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Quite good. If I was going to experiment, I'd try cropping a bit (maybe 5-10%) just to make the ant a little larger in the frame.
Thanks for the feedback. I do have some other shots where the ant is bigger but what I tried to achieve here was to empasize how small this ant actually is by including the whole flower.
I`ll try your suggestion but I fear that the effect will be gone or diminished for a great deal.

To put things in persective: The ant is 1,5-2mm and the flower is about 3-4cm (say 1,5 inch).
06-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice indeed! I do agree with MSL about a slight crop. I think it will actually enhance the ants tiny nature when juxtaposed with the buds and stamen.
06-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I do have some other shots where the ant is bigger but what I tried to achieve here was to empasize how small this ant actually is by including the whole flower. I`ll try your suggestion but I fear that the effect will be gone or diminished for a great deal. To put things in persective: The ant is 1,5-2mm and the flower is about 3-4cm (say 1,5 inch).
Fair enough, but then it might be that this photo is violating the rule of thirds in such a way that the ant is neither central nor sufficiently off to the side that it isn't commanding the focus of attention that it should. Part of the problem is how much negative space you have in the bottom left corner, which commands the least attention, but is also closest to the ant.

06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fair enough, but then it might be that this photo is violating the rule of thirds in such a way that the ant is neither central nor sufficiently off to the side that it isn't commanding the focus of attention that it should. Part of the problem is how much negative space you have in the bottom left corner, which commands the least attention, but is also closest to the ant.
That`s some solid reasoning and I think I got your suggestion. The result is added in the startpost.
Thanks again for your interesting feedback, MSL. Very much appreciated!

And offcourse the same for Tessyfully for dropping in on this.
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
That`s some solid reasoning and I think I got your suggestion. The result is added in the startpost. Thanks again for your interesting feedback, MSL. Very much appreciated!
You're quite welcome. I like the second shot better. I think the best image will emerge when you crop so that you keep all of that bottom leaf. Sometimes a very small difference in the crop can make a huge difference in the final product.
06-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Forum Member

Lovely shot, excellent composition. Thanks for sharing!

(As for me the first shot is more impressive)
06-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're quite welcome. I like the second shot better. I think the best image will emerge when you crop so that you keep all of that bottom leaf. Sometimes a very small difference in the crop can make a huge difference in the final product.
Yes, that`s true. I`ll try your suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by greenfox Quote
Lovely shot, excellent composition. Thanks for sharing!

(As for me the first shot is more impressive)
Thank you, Greenfox.