Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
LBA - Sigma 180 F3.5 EX DG Macro
Posted By: Bud, 03-14-2008, 09:14 PM

I received a call yesterday (when it was sunny and 67 F) that my long-awaited 180 was waiting for me in Columbus, so I immediately scheduled a personal day for today (monsoon-type rains, wind and 45 F) and headed off for Columbus this morning, hoping for a break in the weather. Of course, nothing like that happened, so I picked up the Sigma and headed for the Franklin Park Conservatory where the Butterfly Exhibition is opening on Saturday.

Learnings - I'll probably be using a tripod (which I've really resisted to this point) as my hands aren't aren't quite as steady as they once were and... this thing is... big... and so very nice! I had a tripod with me, but there were 2 school busses loaded with hyper-active kids so I opted for the hand-held approach.

It was very overcast and dark, but I was able to get a few natural light shots and I used the 540 flash on a few. I also left my diffuser in the car, so the flash is a little more harsh than necessary in a couple of the shots.

I'm not sure that my efforts really did the Sigma 180 justice today with the lighting conditions and hand-held shooting, but I sense that it's going to be an outstanding macro lens for all kinds of creepy crawly things this spring and summer. ;-)

Here's a few from this afternoon... let me know what you think!

Oh, yeah... I lost the guide with butterfly names... so the butterflies are just ... butterflies.

All jpegs with very little pp

The butterflies...

They had some really cool little buildings made from plant material...
1/400s f/5.6 at 180.0mm iso1600

...and flowers, of course...
1/320s f/7.1 at 180.0mm iso1600

1/400s f/4.5 at 180.0mm iso640

1/250s f/5.6 at 180.0mm iso1600

... and an amazing blown glass sculpture that was about 30 ft. tall...

1/320s f/4.0 at 180.0mm iso1250

Views: 4,608
03-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Bud,

Been a while.

I think you did fine with the lens. Yes, it is big, somewhat heavy when carrying it for several hours as one is most likely to do with a macro, but the results are clearly worth the financial commitiment to this lens and the small learning curve.

I have used at least five high end macros and find this to be one of the very best on the market. It has great contrast and is not prone to flare in my utilization so I don't find a need to use the hood.

I also find that hand holding is much easier than a tripod or monopod manipulation.

Enjoy the toy and post often.

Stephen
Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
03-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Hi Bud,

Been a while.

I think you did fine with the lens. Yes, it is big, somewhat heavy when carrying it for several hours as one is most likely to do with a macro, but the results are clearly worth the financial commitiment to this lens and the small learning curve.

I have used at least five high end macros and find this to be one of the very best on the market. It has great contrast and is not prone to flare in my utilization so I don't find a need to use the hood.

I also find that hand holding is much easier than a tripod or monopod manipulation.

Enjoy the toy and post often.

Stephen
Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Hey, Stephen,

Your work with the Sigma 180 was one of my inspirations for pursuing this lens and I'm really looking forward to giving it a good workout this spring and summer! It's very interesting that you shoot mostly hand-held. That's still my preference, but I know that I'll be motivated to give the tripod a shot with this one.

Thanks for your comments!

Bud
03-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hand held , first day, quality results - excellent !

03-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
daacon

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Hand held , first day, quality results - excellent !
Thanks for your comments... much appreciated!

Bud