Views: 943
06-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a contrast I like it.
06-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Spectacular colors. Love those leafless trees too.
06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nicely toned - excellent work!

06-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very cool
06-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What a contrast I like it.
I'm glad I turned around - the sunset was behind me!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Spectacular colors. Love those leafless trees too.
Thanks! In this case, having the 55-300 on the camera was a good thing because it helped me crop out the foreground. I particularly wanted the stark silhouetted trees. The hard part was capturing the blue of the sky at the same time as the colour in the cloud.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Very nicely toned - excellent work!
Thank you! I ended up having to adjust the camera quite a lot for it to capture what I saw.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Very cool
Thanks! It made walking back in the rain worthwhile.
08-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thank you! I ended up having to adjust the camera quite a lot for it to capture what I saw.
Be interesting to know what you had to adjust to make this emotive and powerful shot work.

08-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Be interesting to know what you had to adjust to make this emotive and powerful shot work.
Thanks for the compliment! I just had a look at the EXIF data on Flickr but one of the values seems to be wrong. According to the EXIF data, the light meter was in spot mode with the exposure set to Program mode biased toward shutter speed (action). The action setting was a hangover from trying to photograph birds in poor light just prior to this shot. I adjusted the camera to 100 ISO since the sunset was quite bright and I wanted the trees in silhouette. In terms of the adjustments I was referring to, It was a matter of under-exposing with the EV offset until the colour of the cloud matched reality, checking in the LCD each time. The camera generally wants to make the image brighter than it should be. Centre weighted metering probably would have been better, but I wanted to ensure that the trees had no effect on the reading. The item in the EXIF data which seems wrong is that there's no exposure offset. I'd need to check the EXIF in the original image, because I suspect that Paintshop Pro may have corrupted the EXIF data, or Flickr is reporting the wrong value. I don't recall adjusting the colours or contrast in Paintshop Pro. I simply resized the image and sharpened it. I hope that helps!
One of the great advantages of digital is being able to see the result immediately, adjust and shoot again - assuming that the subject allows it.